Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Civic- Good Bikemobile?
  • flamejob
    Free Member

I have been looking at new [probably nearly new] cars as Mrs Flamejob may need a car for her new job; we currently own an old mini and I usually use my Boss’s van for weekday rides.

The question is: Is this really a viable way to transport bikes?

tomlevell

No as you have to take your front wheel out of an MTB and you won’t want to get the interior gammy.
    My road bike goes in just without removing wheels for taking the car to the garage.

Plenty of room with the seats down though but I always use a roof carrier with mine.
    I think I’ll go back to tow bar carriers on the next car though but that’s a few years away yet.

druidh
    Free Member

If you have the model with no spare wheel (just the repair kit) then you get a great big additional “well” in the boot. Using that, you can fold down the back seats completely (easy), take out your seatpost and roll the bikes in upside down. Remove the front wheel and you’re sorted. Great for carrying two folks, bikes and all the gear you need for camping etc.

However, I’d not buy another. Mine had loads of niggly problems and is easily the least reliable car I’ve ever owned (and I’ve had 4 Renaults). Check out http://www.civinfo.com for more info on the good and the bad.

flamejob
    Free Member

Thanks guys, its always great to know people have had real experience with bikes in cars. If ether of you are out biking and happen to take a camera I’d appreciate a photo.

@druidh I am surprised you had problems with it. One of the main reasons I was going to go for a Honda is that Japanese build quality! I have had a lot of Honda bikes and they were all amazingly well built. Useful Forum too, thanks again.

Weirdly I like the base base model with the plastic wheels.

cp

flamejob – trouble is, they’re built in the UK…

flamejob
    Free Member

I found the bike carrying thread; that site is really quite useful.

@cp oh yeah… I forgot about that. An even better reason to buy one. 🙂

Flamejob, I have the new shape Civic and the boot is huge with the rear seats folded. I can fit 3 BMX bikes in there whole (i.e. no wheels off) plus loads of kit. Should be able to fit 3 MTBs with wheels off plus kit in there with some old pillows/duvets to stop them clanging together.

My only criticisms of the car are poor rear visibility (especially on the Type R with naff spoiler across the window) and poor fuel economy (25-30mpg).

vadar
    Free Member

I can fit my Chameleon in the back with the wheel of no probs. Have had two bikes and all the gear in it … Never let me down and does 50 to the gallon.
    What can i say,,,spot on cars.

flamejob
    Free Member

I love the idea of puting whole bikes in the car.

It all sounds good… I’m looking at the Fiat Panda 100HP now, with a towball rack it could be a contender!

Bream
    Free Member

My wife owns a new shape Type R and I often use it on bike outings, the thing is like the tardis!!!!!

For a small car it has more rear space than my old BMW325 touring or A4 estate. I can get my road bike and XC bike in whole with the seats down (one at a time, not together) but I have to take my front wheel out my DH bike. Recently I was getting ready for a trip away and in the back fitted 2 bikes (both wheels out, 1 XC and 1 DH), a large DH cardboard bike box and my full DH kit bag.

As for reliability, we have only had one problem with it and that was the known gearbox syn issue, this was fixed under warranty within a day.

Nothing wrong with it being assembled in Britain if you ask me, a very happy user here 8)

the_lecht_rocks

flamejob – i’ve got the type r too, and the boot space id tardis like, esp with the seats down.
    as mike says, crap rear visibility – need parking sensors, and crap mpg (circa 28).

flamejob
    Free Member

I think we would go for the most fuel efficient version (anyway I like the plastic wheels; futuristic!) because Mrs Flamejob is doing a government inspector’s job (starting next month) so will be traveling about within the M25 all day.

At the mo I am doing the typical bloke window shopping thing so when she says ‘right we need to buy a car’ I can tell her exactly which one and rush down to the dealership like a kid before christmas. I might even mooch over to Chiswick Honda and do a bit of tyre kicking.

I WILL NOT be tempted to get a Type-R

*has a quick look at second hand prices anyway

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Civic- Good Bikemobile?’ is closed to new replies.