Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • New cheapo Halfords bike content :-D
  • snotrag

Was holding out for a 29r trail bike bargain, but couldnt resist for £1079!

Shop guys were great and let me mess about to work our that I can *just* fit on the large with enough height to fit my 125mm reverb – I wanted the length of the large but not to have to buy a new dropper, a 100mm reverb or a KS maybe.

Need a new hose though as it’s too short.
    It’s got tubes, yuk, they need to go, and no idea what the tyres are like I guess there budget ones.

I’ve also got the colour coded forks, and a Monarch RT over the spec Monarch R – guess they are struggling for stock.

Frame is all straight, quite basic and no fancy welding but it feels good on the driveway!

My mate has just specced a bronson with pikes and GX1x11 (and admittedly much nicer finishing kit) and it came to 5 grand….

garage-dweller

Looks good. Even the patio is clean. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You need to do the washing up.

kayak23

Not sure I’d want to hang my teatowels right next to the bin but it’s up to you of course.
    Nice bike. Let us know how it rides.

dryroasted
    Free Member

It ?ooks great, my local Halfordstore didn’t have any to view, now I’m torn between this or a Bronson c frame that’s on ebay for 1k

dahedd
    Free Member

That looks rather nice.

superstu
    Free Member

Fantastic value for money. Enjoy!

DickBarton

Suspect that won’t have such a flexible rear end as the Bronson…

Euro
    Free Member

+1 on the great value as that is great value 😀

Not sure if you’ve adjusted the ‘cockpit’ but losing the spacers under the stem might give you enough slack to make the reverb hose the right length? Or run the cable along the underside of the toptube? (assuming it’s not stealth and it’s only a bit short)

jekkyl

why is it so teeny tiny? are you a dwarf? 😛

dryroasted
    Free Member

Did you get the british cycling discount on top?

andywoodall
    Free Member

These are really good value at RRP, but at that price its a steal. Enjoy.

Plus unlike previous generations of Boardman full suss, the paint jobs nice, pretty distinctive out and about and I stopped to chat to a guy in the street riding one recently. He loved it.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,ve heard that the rear mech hanger snaps at the first sign of action.The brakes also seem to require alot of attention to.Buyer beware

dryroasted
    Free Member

any thoughts on the wheels?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

There round

DickBarton

He loved the bike or the fact you stopped him for a chat? 😉

nicnag
    Free Member

Another member of the Boardman club here. Too much of a bargain to resist 20% in store, then 10% BC then 10% vouchers, then a few % topcashback. Net amount was about £950. Took it around carron valley today….no complaints. Ordered new pedals and saddle. Dropper will be fitted immeniently, and then new tyres next on list. Brakes seemed OK, but will monitor. Am expecting rear mech to need replacing. But still seems great value for money.

dryroasted
    Free Member

This is what puts me off buying this. Replacing,
    saddle
    seatpost
    possibly brakes
    tyres
    pedals
    mech hanger
    rear mech

anything else to add

prawny

Wishing I’d held off buying the bossnut now. That’s banging for less than £1100.

Ho hum, couldn’t afford to replace the cassette anyway 😆

snotrag

Yes, you get -20%, then -10% British cycling discount. Other than the mavic rims being a bit narrow the wheels seem OK, hubs run smooth. Not hammered it yet though. Saddle is really nice actually, thought I’d be binning it but no it seems to fit well on a short spin! Brakes feel did different to what I’m used to (shimano), but good power.

nicnag
    Free Member

dryroasted – Member

This is what puts me off buying this. Replacing,
    saddle
    seatpost
    possibly brakes
    tyres
    pedals
    mech hanger
    rear mech

anything else to add

Apologies, rear mech was a typo should have been mech hanger. And all the rest are personal, suspect lots will be fine with stock. For me that still keeps it under 1500 and no other new bike could compete.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I personally think Boardman are great bikes for the cash. I changed the groupset on mine as I had the kit lying about and the same for the wheels. It was perfectly capable from the shop and rode brilliantly. The only thing that bugs me on the new Boardman bikes is the graphics, but that’s my own personal opinion. I wonder if they will make a fat bike??

mountainman

How does the VOO DOO zobop and canzoo compare ,looks as thou no lock out on rear shock ,weight wise abt 1kilo in it

dryroasted
    Free Member

Couldn`t resist and got it,, mine came with the the comet direct mount crank, i think these are the chain rings it uses
    [/url]

cant seem to find any to buy though

craig24
    Free Member

That is a nice bike, very tempted myself.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘New cheapo Halfords bike content :-D’ is closed to new replies.