Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New chainset time – does a BB30 chainset fit a PF30 Bottom Bracket?
  • DickBarton

Mechanic has just called me, my X9 10-spd chainset is about to fall apart, apparently it’s been run loose (not whilst I’ve owned it) and it’s worn to bits and is almost ready to fail – he’s a mate so it isn’t a swift move to get me to shell out on a new piece of kit – he doesn’t sell parts.
    It’s a PF30 bottom bracket and I’m wondering if I can get a BB30 chainset and it will fit?
    The BB is a Wheels Manufacturing PF30 and looking on the site it suggests (in my world!) that BB30 and PF30 have the same size inner diameter for the axle so I’m thinking a BB30 chainset would fit.

Is this correct? I don’t fancy another SRAM set up as the bolt diameter is rather unique and costs a fortune to replace rings…thinking Shimano as they are ‘standard’ BCD sizes and rings are a plenty.

Any help would be good…really fancying XT-level but completely lost on finding something – mainly due to me not reading mags or reviews or stuff!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

BB30 will indeed fit a PF30 bracket as that’s what it’s designed for, it’s essentially the same thing.

I suspect though you have your wires crossed somewhat as Shimano doesn’t make a BB30 chain set. You can however get something like the Paxxis Bottom bracket that will convert your PF30 shell into a Shimano size 24od axle.

Hope that helps.

DickBarton

Just doing some nosing around and yes, Shimano don’t do BB30 (or PF30) systems…so I’m needing to find a suitable BB30 solution…think I’m after 27/40 rings and no weird BCD sizes…also ideally below £180 – any recommendations?

Thanks for the pointer on my mistake with the Shimano crank sizes.

eshershore
    Free Member

@dick

If you could live with 1x 10 gearing I am selling a used but good condition SRAM OE single ring specific aluminium bb30 chain set 175mm arms, 104bcd no chainring, going very cheap drop me a mail if interested!

cnud
    Free Member

Hi, I’ve got a brand new double FSA afterburner Linky you could have for £50 posted or a used x9 you could have for £40. Both off a bike I no longer have. Emails in my profile if interested

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You’ll not get 27/40 ring sizes ‘off the shelf’ nearest you’ll get is 26/39 on a std Sram set up. You could (like I do) run a Sram BB30 chain set but with a NSB spider adapter to put any ring sizes you fancy on.

Or run the Praxxis B/B with any Shimano crank of your choosing.

DickBarton

Praxxis sounds like the plan…although cnud’s offer sounds very tempting as well…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New chainset time – does a BB30 chainset fit a PF30 Bottom Bracket?’ is closed to new replies.