Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New chainset
  • blablablacksheep
    Free Member

Hi all

I recently had my middle and outer chainrings wear out and so need a replacement,

Problem is the bikes a octalink and given the costs it quite exspencive to have those chainrings replaced.

So i decided to get a new crankset with the current external BB trend.

I am looking at this Deore chainset M590 and wondering if it good?

Also what lube do i need to use when i replace the BB/chainset, i have parktool anti seize stuff but do i need grease instead?

Lastly any advice welcome to do with replacing a octalink with external BB(i think my frame will need facing i guess)

regards

andyl
    Free Member

yes frame will need facing.

Why not just buy a Deore or SLX crankset and keep the rings and sell the BB and cranks? Assuming your cranks are 104pcd.

Deore cranks are about £50 from europe (eg rose bikes), SLX are £90.

If your octalink bb is fine then why bother changing it? They last for ages and are cheap as chips.

edit: or put an advert up for some chainrings. Pretty sure I have some new outer and middle rings somewhere which are at least Deore spec.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Ditch the octalink, they’re shit. Either take a step backwards and go for alivio on a square taper (should last for ages, this is the non bling economical choice), or Deore/SLX with external BB, once the BB fails (6months of hardish riding) replace with Hope BB.

Buy the bits from your LBS they may give you cheap fitting, if you go external BB probably best to get the BB shell faced as this does extend the life of the BB. (and you’l be building a relationship with them for future purchases)

Note if your rings are worn you will probably need a new chain and cassette at the same time.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

thanks for replys
    My chain and cassette are new so no issues.

Problem was that to get my chainrings new was going to cost around 40-50 quid not including tools/labour if got it done by LBS.

i looking at the m950 which i looking to get from merlin are £48 incl bb.

My point mainly is, i could get new chainrings done but going to cost around £50-60 total so why not just upgrade to the current external BB with M950 for a bit more,(also once sooner or later i going to need it done again and back to start, with likely option prices gone up more)

Atm i trying to see if the LBS can take out my old octalink chainset+bb and face/install the new M950, and see how much it cost.

Any ideas how much it should be to take out old octalink and face the frame then install the new M950??(if it a lot i may as well buy tools and DIY myself, except facing)

Cheers for help though as allways

lunge

I would ask around a few LBS’s to see if they have any old Octalink chainsets they want to get rid of. I managed to pick up a new chainset for £35 a year ago as the shop said they never sold them anymore.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

that would of been the case but no more, as i tried,

Also tried CRC but i was told their “stock coming date” actually ment they no longer sold octalink cranksets, so having to replace the chainrings with the new ones just hiked the price up.

Any idea though of the cost to do this sort of work ie
    Remove old chainset+BB
    Face frame
    Install new chainset+BB
    ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

YOu do not necc. need your BB faced esp if its a fairly modern fame – TBH I have never faced a frame and never had BB prematurely fail or had fitting issues – IMHO of course 🙂

Do it yourself – its really easy!

If your near Exeter I’ll do it for you 🙂

http://www.cyclistno1.co.uk/features/maintenance/shimano-ultegra-hollowtech-ii-crank-service.htm

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ditch the octalink, they’re shit

Errrr no, basically.

Octalink is good.

ISIS is the crap version though, and similar, I think you may be confused!

🙂

wwaswas

as per foxyrider – I wouldn;t worry about frame facing unless it’s a very old frame.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

As Peter said
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/deore-m530-octalink-chainset-1

This would fix your problem with minimal fuss!
    £37 if you’re interested, can have it in the post tomorrow.

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

Thanks for the help, those cranks are too small sadly as the ones i got are 175mm and i still find i need to increase seat height quite a lot, thanks anyhow though. 8)

interesting views about facing, many people i spoke to and posted say that facing a frame a must have if you trying to have external BB fitted to a bike, while as you say, others like yourself disagree.

Spoke to a few LBS and been quoted around £40-£48 for the work, with most charge £20 for frame facing.

I had a look at my BB octalink and it looks pretty worn and i recon it got maybe at best 4-6 months, so was worried if i replace the chainset i may be back here again rather quicker than i hoped:)

atm full cost for everything parts ect looks like £109

andyl
    Free Member

you only need the rings off it.

Put the brand new cranks up for £10-15 and job done.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Where are you? If near me (Kent) I’ll do the change over for a couple of bottles of beer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New chainset’ is closed to new replies.