• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by v10.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New chainrings and new Chain yet still chainsucking – what next?
  • slowboydickie

I replaced the chain and chainrings, made sure everything was clean and lubed the night before with all excess removed but went out today and as soon as the chain got wet the dreaded chainsuck was back. Aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

The mech looks straight. The cassette is barely worn. The chain appears not to be twisted. What’s next?

– some kind of chain device?
    – clutch type mech?
    – The chain could be slightly too long. Shorten chain?
    – Ride a SS? I’ve got one coming for Christmas.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Rich

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Sell them in the classifieds 😆

chojin
    Free Member

Have you definitely got the correct amount of spacers between the BB and the frame?

slowboydickie

The BB shell is 73mm and it is a HTII BB so I don’t need any spacers (or so I think).

wildtrack4x4
    Free Member

i got a 73 and i got 1 spacer on the drive side as per:

bb install instructions

if that works

slowboydickie

It’s a GXP so maybe different (I’m pretty sure the instruction said no spacers) but I will double check. Thanks for the pointer

PaulD
    Free Member

I have a GXP that came with 3 spacers and instructions same as Shimano…so you need 1 on the DS with a 73mm shell unless you have a BB mounted chain device or front mech.

PaulD

slowboydickie

Hmm, thanks. Not sure on this one. I can’t find a technical document for SRAM or Truvativ BBs but this post below seems to think no spacers required.

about SRAM BBs

househusband

…what frame, just out of interest?

slowboydickie

Tallboy XXL

renton
    Free Member

Could it be frame flex ? My old inbred used to do this even with a brand new drivetrain and the shop put it down to frame flex around the bottom bracket.

chojin
    Free Member

I had an HT (Boardman with a 73mm shell), a GXP BB and Truvativ cranks, it came with 1x spacer on the drive side from the factory. I can only assume this is correct. As far as I’m aware, both Shimano and SRAM require the same amount of spacers.
    No spacers sounds wrong to me.

v10
    Free Member

No spacers on a 73mm GXP.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New chainrings and new Chain yet still chainsucking – what next?’ is closed to new replies.