Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New chainring time 32 or 34
  • SOAP
    Free Member

At the mo I’m running 1×9 32f 11/34 cassette
    I can just about cope with this but would like to go faster.
    I’m just about to go 1×10 after the best PSA of the year(slx shifters)
    My question is if I go 34f 11/36 how will that compare?
    Or will it be the same.

njee20
    Free Member

With a 34 You’ll have a very slightly harder easy gear, very slightly, and you’ll gain an extra one at the top end, so I’d go 34.

duffle
    Free Member

I’m sure someone will be along with a link to a gear inch calc shortly but I noticed that E13 do a 33t ring just to throw more mud in the water!!

njee20
    Free Member

Just look at the Sheldon Brown gear calculator, more meaningful numbers in there and you can compare different ratios.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I use a 33t chainring on my HT to a 34t cassette and wouldn’t go bigger. Loads of steep climbing round here mind

crumpygrunt
    Free Member

Not a massive amount of difference to be honest. Use the 34 when you’re feeling fit or doing more flat/downhill – use the 32 when you’re not so fit or have lots of climbing to do. Good to have both so you can change around when it suits you

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Just get a 36t. 😉 36t with a 11-34t 9 speed cassette here.

Out of your choices I would definitely have the 34t.

Northwind

I find I miss low gears more than high- running out of gears on a climb means feeling terrible or just stopping, running out of gears on a descent means you’re already shifting (and if you can go faster, then it’s probably a crap descent anyway).

So, if in doubt I go smaller, have never regretted this.

james
    Free Member

“you’ll gain an extra one at the top end”
    More like half a gear no?

“noticed that E13 do a 33t ring “
    On-one do unramped in stainless too

If you went 33t with a 11-36t casette you’d be getting around another 1/4 gear at both ends

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New chainring time 32 or 34’ is closed to new replies.