Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • New Chain Time – Shimano or Sram?
  • nwill1
    Free Member

I’m due a new cassette, I believe that means I also need a new chain, thinking of getting a Sram 990 cassette.

Only ever had a Shimano HG53, its been fine but decision is between Sram PC991 or Shimano HG93, is either better than the other? Weight? Reliability? Or any other offerings, can get either for the same price of £18, also interested in if anyone knows where they are a better price.

seosamh77
    Free Member

shimano I reckon, based on 5 years of SRAM and 1year of Shimano. I snapped SRAM chains all the time.

thejesmonddingo
    sonofapitch
    Free Member

SRAM I snap shimano!

Liftman

KMC

nwill1
    Free Member

That KMC chain looks good, some good reviews to any other opinions?

tang
    Free Member

wipperman connex!

snotrag

KMC convert here too. No snappage like Shimano, last longer than SRAM, comes with quick link. winner.

Northwind

KMC (they also make the good Shimano chains, though ironically Shimano’s spec makes them work less well). The cheap ones are strong like ox.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

KMC convert here too.KMC XP 93 is all you need.£14 last time I bought one a few months back.

paddy0091
    Free Member

I’ve used both KMC and Shimano on the road bike, I’ve recently changed back from the KMC as it’s noisy..sad I know, but yeah, good chains but run pretty loud.

unklehomered
    Free Member

wipperman connex!

+1 but never tried KMC, haven’t felt the need to leave connex, but i may give one a shot at some point to see.

EDIT: on the above CRC link another strange no attention to website detail occurrence, cheaper to by less than more… (unit price less when buying <3) ❓

chiefgrooveguru

KMC. Really like the gold (Ti Nitride coated) one, runs v smooth and very corrosion resistant.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

another kmc fan here. sram are shiite ime.

_tom_
    Free Member

I always get KMC x9s, snapped my fair share of shimano and sram chains but KMC always solid!

Sandwich

Using KMC on the hire fleet at work. The cheaper ones stretch to 1% quite quickly but they are cheap so we throw them in the scrap and replace with a new one.

nwill1
    Free Member

Wicked, I was expecting very mixed views but KMC look like the way forward. Cheers all, I’ll give one a shot.

cp

Another very happy kmc user here… Won’t use anything else in road or mtb, 9 or 10 speed.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Kmc for me, although I have just fitted a wipperman to my cx bike, so will be interesting to see how that goes this winter.

snowpaul
    Free Member

I use shimano over anything else (xt/xtr)- had kmc / connex sram and have bent sram and popped a sideplate off a rivet – never had probs with anyother brand – would use whatevers cheapest !

join a chain with a joining link = no probs and easier to take off and clean…
    paul

hmanchester
    Free Member

Kmc x9 +1

stumpy01

KMC

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘New Chain Time – Shimano or Sram?’ is closed to new replies.