Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New chain time
  • beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Ok so I’m currently using an xt groups , and have been told my xt chain is wearing already after very little use. My question is is the xtr any tougher ? I’m a big bloke 15st and push hard I guess on the pedals I just never expected it to stretch so quickly. Literally 5 months of not much use. Probs 2 rides a week since my new job.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Told by who? I’m a lot heavier than you and my XT chain lasted over a year, used weekly or more.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

There are two ways of looking at chain wear imo.

First off is change them when they hit .75% on the old chain-wear-o’meter. I do this on my nice roadie as it keeps the gears crisp. I never go above XT, ultegra level as they are a consumable part.

The other school of thought is wear the whole lot into the ground which is what I do on my winter roadie. I have had 8000+ miles out of a chain and when it was time for it to go then the whole lot needed replacing.

Out of interest was the chain measured with a park tool gauge.? If so take it with a pinch of salt as a new chain will show as being worn on one of those.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

5 months for a chain is fine.

And the XTR will in no way be stronger or longer lasting than XT, only lighter.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

That’s what I thought. My old xt chain seemed to.last a lot longer. I do measure regularly lol

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I stopped using shimano chains years ago because of that backward connector pin thingy. Do they still use that?.

stanleigh
    Free Member

Yeah , hate the way Shimano still haven’t developed a split link !

And yes , I do know the KMC ones fit.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Chain may not be worn. Measure over the longest section you can with a steel rule and see if it’s above or below 0.5% worn.

Chain checkers are pessimistic. I only use one to tell me when to switch to the steel rule.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

^^^ not quite sure what you mean. How would I know if I never knew the length before ?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s standard.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Cheap chains last as long as expensive chains ime, your paying for fancy plating that achieves nothing other than making them look nicer for longer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I agree with dirty dog excepting the cheapest brown chains etc which wear more quickly IME.

I’d prefer to go on some proper testing though!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New chain time’ is closed to new replies.