Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New chain, new powerlink?
  • frank4short
    Free Member

Simple enough question. Got a new chain to go on my bike, just wondering whether or not it's worth my while bothering to get a new powerlink to go with it? Or just put the old one back on it?

scaredypants

I mostly just use the old one – it's not like anything really wears out on em (unless you can see deformation around the cut-out bits I guess)

Peyote
    Free Member

I've reused a powerlink on my Tourer for five chains now (about 8000 miles), it still seems to work fine and there's no noticeable stretching. I probably would recommend swapping it for a new one on a regular basis (maybe every two chains?), but it's got to the stage that I'm curious how long it's going to last!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I've reused powerlinks several times, but eventually they can fail, usually after 5 or 6 chains though!!! If a chain came with a new PL I'd probably just fit the new one.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

there tough little suckers. i dont think you can stretch them. iv use the same one for ages now on three chains i think. alway carry a spare though. never used it yet. fingers crossed. x

coffeeking
    Free Member

The parts the powerlink is made up from are the parts of a chain that don't wear (the outer plates and pins). The wear on a chains seems primarily to occur on the bushes and inner plates. Re-use all day long.

tthew

They cost about 2 quid, if they don't come with the chain. Put a new one on tight arse and keep the old one for a spare should you get a breakage! 🙂

devs
    Free Member

I've snapped 2 powerlinks after reusing them. One with painful consequences. I replace them every time now. It's not worth not doing it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

What bit broke DeVs? There's no reason for the powerlink to die (unless of course you've spent years opening and closing it and worn out the little pin>plate interface).

frank4short
    Free Member

Right to clarify. New chain didn't come with one. Forgot to get one when in the bikeshop buying the chain today. It's more convenience than tightarsedness that's preventing me from doing it. Just not sure whether the LBS will have one & not sure when i'll have the opportunity to get to a shop that will have one.

devs
    Free Member

What bit broke DeVs?

Where the pin attaches to the plate. Not the bit that is designed to move and slide out but the side that is not meant to move! Does that make sense? Same thing both times.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Wow, never seen that and can't think of a reason it would occur unless the link was badly assembled and used, which I'd have thought you'd notice instantly?! As I say,been using re-used links for literally years.

Northwind

I've had that as well. Though it was on an almost new link, funnilly enough.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The definatly wear – you can see wear marks on the plates and pins after a while. ( but the inner plates is where most of the wear is as said above)

However in the OPs circumstances I would have no problem reusing one – but get another new link when convenient. Put the old link in with your multitool for use if / when you break a chain. I carry 3 spare sram links

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New chain, new powerlink?’ is closed to new replies.