Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New chain for Rohloff
  • avdave2

Sram PC 48 on my bike will need changing soon after 2 1/2 years commuting and off road service. Not bad going for a cheap chain. I’ll be revering the sprocket and chainring and I want a new chain with the maximum service life. I don’t want to bother with rotating chains as I’d have to be disciplined about swapping over chains so as not to be having to make small adjustments on the EBB which are best avoided. So what’s everyone else using with their Rohloff, and what’s best value. I’m reluctant to spend money on a high end chain when a cheap one has lasted so well.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i just use a standard cheap chain. KMC ones seem really quite good, not on my rohloff, but got one on a SS. i don’t lke big wide BMX chains as they make a lot of noise. tend to use cheap 8 speed ones on the rohloff

Stoner
    Free Member

sram PC1 is a great chain for the money.

Stoner
    Free Member

monkey has a good point re noise. the PC1 can clatter a bit. I actually use a gold KMC9spd chain but theyre not that cheap.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve used Rohloff, cheap sram and expensive KMC and the cheap Srams are as good as anything – some of the more expensive chains might have an advantage on conventional set ups but on the Rohloff they’re no advantage

avdave2

Thanks guys, I guess I’ll just look at another Sram 8 speed.

charliedontsurf

kmc z610hx if you need 3/32, and the Z510hx it you want 1/8… incredibly strong bullseye riveted chains, never seen a failure and we must have sold over a thousand of these by now… oh and only £12.

avdave2

Thanks Charlie, so do I need 3/32 or 1/8. Am I right in thinking that I could run either but that the 3/32 will be quieter?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New chain for Rohloff’ is closed to new replies.