Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • New Chain. Do i Buy a New Cassette?
  • jacob46
    Free Member

ive had my bike for 12 months. probably done 600 mile on it. ive just purchased some Hope flow wheels rotors and cassette. reason why is because im using original wheels for commuting with road tyres and the new wheels are for weekends at Cannock trails and fun. ive just purchased a new gold KMC chain for the new wheels. Do I get a new cassette for the old wheels? or just put new chain on and forget about it?

granny_ring

See how it goes, if it doesn’t shift well then get one.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

As above, just leave it on and see how it goes. I’ve never subscribed to the ‘new cassette, new chain’ theory.

jacob46
    Free Member

Nice one guys. guy in leisure lakes said I mite need to but I checked out the cassette and not much wear so stuff it.

warton
    Free Member

600 miles should be fine. i replaced my road bike chain this week after about 5k, and no need for new cassette..

MaryHinge
    Free Member

See how it goes. I put a new chain Ann a used cassette one and it skipped around loads, so a new cassette was needed.

600 miles isn’t a lot if its been well looked after.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

miles mean a lot less in mountain bikes compared to road bikes. It’s where you ride thats the issue and what through.

Check the chain stretch, if it’s gone too far then do the cassette too.

Northwind

I’d not expect the cassette to not take a new chain after 600 miles. But I suppose that depends on your maintenance, riding conditions etc.

matther01
    Free Member

Wouldnt have thought so but the chase does like to devour cassettes and chains with sand/grit paste in the wet…which it has been for months.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

didn’t see the Cannock bit, forget the chain checker just invest in a big pile of bits…change chain/cassette and rings when you do the brake pads.

gogg
    Free Member

Check the chain stretch WEAR, if it’s gone too far then do the cassette too.

crazy-legs

I generally reckon on a cassette lasting for 3 chains but it does depend a bit on your maintenance regime.

3 chains = 1 cassette
    3 cassettes = 1 chainring

As a guide…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘New Chain. Do i Buy a New Cassette?’ is closed to new replies.