Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New central heating boiler, any experts?
  • itstig

What would you do? Boiler,hot water cylinder tanks pump etc as per old system or combi boiler and do away with the superfluous gubbins. Experiences please.

somouk
    Free Member

I swapped to combi boiler but we have a small house with only a single shower.

If you have a larger system that will need more demand then a pressurised cylinder may be more useful etc.

How big a system is it? Number of rads, requirements for hot water etc?

Bimbler
    Free Member

How big is your house, how many people live there, how many bathrooms do you have?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

If I had space I’d have stayed on a pressured cylinder or heatstore and conventional boiler

Then there is ability to have green inputs(solar thermal or even solar PV via back up immersion…

But then I’m stuck on oil….

itstig

In the country on an lpg bulk tank.Three occupants, 2 showers 1 bath. Cold water flow is 12 l/ min hot (from cylinder) 4 l / min, 13 radiators.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Cold water flow is 12 l/

I’m no expert but I think this may be a bit low for an unvented cylinder. We had ours measured at 14l/min and plumber said it was a bit low, had the pipe origami under the kitchen sink removed and we actually had over 20l/min.

geoffj

4 bed, 3 bathroom here on a large combi.
    No problems yet.

somouk
    Free Member

I’d be going with a large combi to run the two showers. Will up your l/min on the hot then too.

Would be worth getting the cold flow looked at as well.

Bear
    Free Member

You won’t run 2 showers on 12 l/min which is all he has off the main apparently.

First thing you need to sort is why your cold water has such a low flow rate. You need to measure the pressure too as you could still have high pressure but low flow.

Low flow is easier to deal with than low pressure. There are several solutions but they can be expensive.

I’d consider swapping to oil as it is far cheaper to run than LPG at the moment and generally has been over the years.

itstig

Re the cold flow/pressure issue that is what comes into the house off the main so how can alterations be made to it?
    It’s unlikely both showers will be used simultaneously but possible.
    I’d considered oil and it seemed to be a big lump of money more to change fuel type.

Bear
    Free Member

Like I said you need to know the pressure before you can know what you can likely achieve.
    12 l/min is low to run an entire house off a mains supply.

Happy to help if you want to mail me directly.
    timATj-twren.eclipse.co.uk

Murray

Father in law had low flow and pressure. Sorted by digging up the pipe from the main into the house and replacing the mess of rusty pipe with nice new plastic. All of 15 feet but it made a massive difference.

itstig

I’ve looked where the water comes in the house,blue alkythene pipe, stop tap immediately reduced to 15mm copper hmm.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

We’ve a 4bed house with 12 rads and fairly low mains water too. And we have just arranged to have a new Ideal Vogue 40 combi fitted to replace the older Vokera thing that has cut out randomly a few times in the past year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New central heating boiler, any experts?’ is closed to new replies.