Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • new cassette time?
  • pedlad

Hi

After advice on here in a previous threadt I’ve just replaced my gear cable (so bad I nearly put my thumb through the shifter on the first go with the new set-up!. I also replace my chain and the gears seem to be indexed perfectly and working great.

Problem us under higher loads the chain skips off the back cogs (particularly in higher/smaller gears). Is it a case of worn cassette/new chain or is there anything else to try before I spend on the cassette?

ps – I have hope pro II hubs so presume I need something like this with an alloy spider
    Sram pg990

Gary_C

Definitely new cassette time.

A bit more info: The reason you’d have to replace the cassette is because it generally wears with the chain. While the chain is ‘stretching’, the gap between the teeth on your cassette also gets wider and wider. This causes the new chain to ride up over the teeth and slip while pedaling under pressure.

Slogo
    Free Member

mine does the exact same thing, new cassette time.

pedlad

wow speedy response – thanks.

Any cheaper cassette options than the pg990 or xt with alloy spider?

marsdenman
    Free Member

yep, new cassette time….

z1ppy

I’d be looking at a new cassette, and probably at minimum probably a new middle ring too.

Though depends on the age of your rings/cassette, if there not too badly worn a bit more patience (more steady riding) and you may get the chain to stretch enough to engage well with it (at the cost of overall chain life)

You can get away with changing (or rotating) chains, if you do it from scratch with a complete new chainset & change the chains well before their badly worn. Trying to do it with an old worn chainset ain’t gunna happen IME..

PJM1974
    Free Member

You can use SLX cassettes with ProII hubs. Obviously you’ll need a new chain and as has already been said, a new chainring would be a good idea too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘new cassette time?’ is closed to new replies.