Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Cassette needed !
  • santacrews
    Free Member

I,ve just replaced my chain in time for the winter, my old one was showing signs of wear so thinking i’d changed it in time i went out last night and got the dreaded clunk / slip / **** **** **** !

I,m looking at an XT rear from CRC with the 10% off, My only real querry is what to go for !

?
    I’ll be honest i havent got a clue whats on there now 😳
    Bikes at home and i’m at work !

namastebuzz
    Free Member

You’ve most likely got a 32 – but that’s a pure guess.

34 will give you extra climbing ability on steep steep hills (if you’re weak like me).

Your mech will cope with either.

If you want the same try and look up your bike specs on the manufacturer’s website and it may tell you what cassette is on there?

What bike is it?

poppa
    Free Member

Most likely you should replace it with what you’ve got. 32 is about 50g lighter than 34 if that makes any difference to you. On a triple i’d go 28 or 32 personally. On a double or single ring i’d go 34.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    7hz
    Free Member

If your bike is the standard 27 speed, then you have most likely got either the 34 or the 32 out back. MTBs don’t usually come as standard with the 28 AFAIAA.

For me, the 34 gives too low a gear on the 22 front chainring, the 32 is better as the jumps between gears are less, and it still covers a massive range of gearing.

santacrews
    Free Member

I,m running double and a bash Guard,

I replaced the whole lot in the spring, front rings, chain, fr & Re Mech, rear casette,

Its a 28T rear cassette, 22T & 32T Front Rings,
    Just had a Look at my CRC order history 💡
    It’s a Saint / SLX 9sp cassette, presumeably then i need to replace with 28T ?
    I,m running a SRAM 991 chain.

tonto
    Free Member

Why not just put the old chain back on for the winter? New stuff will only get destroyed this time of year.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

If you’re happy with your gearing just go like for like.

If you want a lower gear then your mech should cover it.

Good old CRC order history – it can be useful.

santacrews
    Free Member

The rollers on the chain are bevelled and upon looking at the top 3 rings on the raer casette when i replaced there were little hooks on the tops of the cogs where the wear and stretch had flared the tops of the teth.

I thought id caught it in time !
    😳

The positive thing to come out of this is that i’ve just given myself a good shake up after looking at my CRC order history & upon looking at my diary i’ve done Many Many miles this year since fitting the new stuff.

I dont want the hassle of a chain snapping on me either half way round a ride ! i guarentee it will only ever happen when it’s just about Zero deg its sleeting / vertical rain and my fingers are gibbering….

Just like last time,

nickc

Might want to change your chainrings at the same time.

mboy
    Free Member

For me, the 34 gives too low a gear on the 22 front chainring, the 32 is better as the jumps between gears are less, and it still covers a massive range of gearing.

What he said.

22/32 is low, 22/34 is at the point where I’d be spinning at walking pace! If you’ve got a 22T inner ring, I’d not bother going larger than a 32T out back, even go for the 28T if you’ve got strong legs and/or don’t ride particularly steep hills.

When I got a bike with a Shimano Alfine hub, I geared it so that the bottom gear is about the same equivalent to a 22T chainring with a 26T cog. I was really surprised just how much I could get up, I just had to get out of the saddle a touch more on the real steep stuff (by which I mean the climb at Cwm Carn and the steep stuff on the Malverns).

santacrews
    Free Member

Nooooooo ! Not again !

racing_ralph
    Free Member
    poppa
    Free Member

… or you could just buy a PG-980 which weighs the same and costs £10 less.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

and is not as good

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Cassette needed !’ is closed to new replies.