Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New cartridge bearings – Boardman Fs owners
  • joebristol

Wondering if anyone on here has a Boardman suspension frame and has ever managed to successfully order and fit new suspension bearings?

I’ve got a 2015 pro Fs and the bearings on the main pivot by the BB have seized solid. I did check them about 4 months ago and at the time 1 was perfect and the other was gritty. Checked them on the weekend gone and they’re both seized – so the shaft that goes through them is just spinning inside the bearing internal surface.

So I need to obtain new bearings and probably a new pivot shaft. Boardman direct have directed me to Halfords as it’s a part they can’t provide direct.

Initial call has led to me waiting for a callback from a guy who isn’t yet in who is likely to know how to do it (fingers crossed).

Has anyone had difficulty obtaining the bearings?

Secondly- has anyone fitted the bearings themselves once they’ve got them? Assuming they’re a press fit, but not sure how hard they are to get in / out.

andybrad

yes,

I drifted the old ones out and then purchased them online. The old ones were metal seal bearings. Better to replace with rubber seal imo.

It was an absolute bastard to get them out even using a hydraulic press in the end.

joebristol

Ah brilliant. Thanks. How did you find what size new bearings were required? Have to say the seals haven’t survived well.

Do you mean a press to get the old ones out or get the new ones in?

I’m fairly competent at diy stuff – but I don’t have a hydraulic press available. Unless my mate who is in the aero industry has access to one at work.

Wonder if the local Halfords could actually fit replacements…..

bigyinn
    Free Member

I doubt a hydraulic press would be needed, in fact you could end up destroying stuff.
    When I remove fame bearings, I press them back in with clamps and / or threaded bars. They key is to make sure they go back in square, which can be a faff to start with.

votchy
    Free Member

I did a full set of frame bearings on one for a friend, he sourced the bearings from Halfords and then I pressed old out and new in, then had to touch the frame up as every bearing took the paint off, almost as if the frame was painted after the bearings were fitted!!

joebristol

OK,thanks for comments. So like a threaded bar with nuts / washers. Done that with headsets previously (luckily avoided press fit BB’s). I reckon I can have a go at that.

See how quickly I can source bearings then really!

Hadge
    Free Member

The bearings should have a number on the rubber seal and we will have all those in stock at BETD. We are looking into making some replacement parts for the FS bikes like shafts etc as an upgrade to the current ones fitted. If it’s kits 12/13/14 then we already have those upgrades in stock.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New cartridge bearings – Boardman Fs owners’ is closed to new replies.