Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • New Carry-on luggage time…sub £100 options?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m down to a choice between these three (for now)…

Berghaus Optimus 40

£56 on Amazon

Lowe Alpiine TT Carry-on 40

£67 at Go-outdoors

And lastly, my favourite, as it’s so light unpacked, Osprey Ozone 36:

£85 at Trekitt

Anyone have any of these or anything else? I’m keen on the option of wheels and integral straps to go on the back when needed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Light weight is good – eats in to the allowance otherwise.

I prefer not to shop at amazon though.

tron
    Free Member

In my book, if it needs wheels it’s not hand luggage 😆

I fly far too often and I don’t see any reason to spend big money on luggage – it invariably gets knocked about a bit, and there’s no pose value with it.

If you fly with the budget airlines it’s handy to have a soft bag – you can cram them into the luggage gauge if needed, but they attract far less attention from the staff at the gate, so you rarely get checked. And on the flights where there’s too much carry on baggage and bags need to go into the hold, and they always pick all the people with hard bags and small cases.

IKEA do a backpack on wheels which is pretty cheap. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50217766/

My other go to place would be Decathlon – they do a lot of decent soft bags at fair prices.

cbike
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In my book, if it needs wheels it’s not hand luggage

Agreed! Besides, you’re going to get everything you need in the little bag of goodies, eye mask, ear plugs, toothbrush and paste etc.

😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

and they always pick all the people with hard bags and small cases.

That’s a fair point, and that’s why all the ones I’m looking at are soft cases (albeit with wheels) and are smaller than the “this is the absolute maximum size carry-on you can have – you can get a week’s worth of stuff in here!” type offerings.

Well this is my book and I want wheels!! 😀

As for you O’Flashearty, we know you’re a fan of the budget options like Animal, so no need for you to comment any further.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Timbuk2 and Samsonite on my last trip, DD. In the nose as well. Most comfortable.

Do Ryanair do First?
    😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Such smug self-satisfaction in blatant snobbery. Arse off and crash someone else’s thread.

sheeps

I’ve got the Osprey Farpoint 40 – similar to the Ozone by the looks of it internally, but with no wheels. Instead it’s got rucksac straps and a cover to zip over it. Again lightweight when empty, pockets for everything and so far, seemingly well built.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Alright, grumpy! 😉

If I was buying that sort of thing, I’d go for the Osprey. A brilliant company to deal with and they make excellent stuff.

toys19
    Free Member

I fly 4 times a week and I do like wheels. But now I have a 40 litre karrimor duffelbag/rucksack from sports direct £35.99. Its done a year without breaking, so 200 odd flights. The point is that it is flexible so I can fill it up, stuff it in any old overhead cabin (eg flybe dash-8’s where a mouses washbag is normally too big).

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Have you tried wearing two sets of clothes ?

Then all you need to carry is a more undercrackers and wash gear.

Got loads of good ideas me y`know 😉

Kryton57

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have looked into the options for unwheeled stuff toys, honestly. I don’t do a massive amount of short trips these days, but in a previous life was here, there and everywhere for 1/2/3 day business trips. I found that I just prefer wheels tbh, with the option to either wear it rucksack or messenger bag style once I’m in a bus or undergound.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

does the evoc terminal bag work?

I fly far too often and I don’t see any reason to spend big money on luggage – it invariably gets knocked about a bit, and there’s no pose value with it.
    I fly enough that having luggage that lasts is important and stuff that protects my gear.
    Wheels are good for the day you feel knackered and don’t want to carry a bag any more.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Evoc Terminal is nice mike but a bit big for my needs at 60 litres I reckon. (Not cheap either – I know they make good kit though.)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyone have experience of the newfeel stuff from Decathlon? I’m guessing it’s their own brand?

db

BAGS – I have more than my wife!

Like others I fly a lot for work around Europe and had the Berghaus one (or an earlier version) and it didn’t last tbh.
    I have the Lowe Alpine TT just now (but the non wheeled version) – its lasting well. I don’t like the straps on it so tend to use it as a shoulder bag. You can cram a lot in it but make sure the staps are comfortable for you before spending. (may be my back – I’m tall)
    Not used the Osprey but do have one of their other bags (Quaser?) which is the bag I travel most with. 30ltrs is enough for me on most trips.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Like others I fly a lot for work around Europe and had the Berghaus one (or an earlier version) and it didn’t last tbh.

Good feedback, ta!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘New Carry-on luggage time…sub £100 options?’ is closed to new replies.