Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New car time.Opinions on Seat Leon?
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have just accepted a new job which comes with a car allowance.
    At the moment I’m driving a 320d efficient dynamics which has been excellent but can’t really justify spending so much this time.
    I can either buy new ,financed by a pcp or secondhand.The car will be covering 20-25k a year and if I buy second hand it has to be less than 4 years old or less than 100k miles.
    Until I am established in the job and not knowing exactly how many business miles I will be doing I’m considering buying a 2-3 year old diesel hatch for now.
    I’ve tended to like the way Fords drive and have had a Focus mark 1 and 2 both petrol. I have driven the mark 3 and whilst more refined than before I am put off by the dpf issues.
    Not sure if the mark 3 has the same problems as the mark 2 but I then looked at Golfs which led me to look at the same mechanicals cloaked in a different shell.

I’ve got used to 60 mpg so am looking at the 1.6 credit.

Any opinions on these?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It wont be half as good as your 320d… Sorry

I looked at brand new Seat Leon v 320d ED as about £20 in lease cost for me. No comparison.

As cars go though Leons drive better than the likes of VAG.

£20k will get you top of range slight 2nd Mondeo though which would be my choice.

votchy
    Free Member

As cars go though Leons drive better than the likes of VAG.

But Leons are VAG

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Thanks Dunc.
    I should say whilst I’ve looked at PCP deals I’m currently looking at buying 2nd hand at circa 10k, which sadly rules out a less than 4 year old 320d.
    I had considered the mondeo,just not sure I need a car that vast but it is certainly one to think about.
    Was thinking Mk 2 Leon 1.6cr se approx 2-3 years old.
    What are these like for reliability?

discoduck
    Free Member

My Mrs has a Tiguan, its a fantastic car and really well built, previous to this we have had Golf’s & Golf Plus and Polos, in comparison a Seat is cheap beside a Golf. To say it drives better than a VAG equivelent is odd as it is a VAG vehicle and it’s marketed as a cheaper alternative to a VW, a bit like SKODA which is also VAG,

A Golf will handle the mileage and they are bombproof, the DPF issues shouldn’t bother you as doing that kind of mileage the regeneration process will occur on the motorway at high temps as it should and not stuck in town in a traffic jam where it gets choked up doing a daily commute where it doesent burn hot enough.

Seats are ok if you are on a budget, at the end of the day that’s why they are marketed at the market segment, I’m not being snobby that’s just the way it is, I don’t dictate the market.

Or maybe try a new Polo they are a great looking car.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Useful feedback discoduck.

Next question do I buy one with low miles that I can add 25k miles to in a year that might still fetch a reasonable price when I sell it or buy one with high miles cheaper but sell it as a very high mileage car in a year’s time.
    Just thinking a low mileage diesel may be more likely to have done short journeys but then I have heard of dpf replacement at 75000 miles or less on some cars.

Is it just Ford that use the problematic EOLYS dpf?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New car time.Opinions on Seat Leon?’ is closed to new replies.