• This topic has 47 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • New car time – sports saloon
  • br
    Free Member

Anyone had/got a Jag S-Type R – thoughts good/bad points?

I drove one earlier and while spotless and very smooth it just didn’t do it for me – seemed quite light, almost too light, on the front. Rather quick though 8)

And if not one of those, any recs?

Budget £10k, must be auto, prefer saloon – like big engines.

(Currently drive an old-shape 535i that I fancy changing)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Big Merc?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Nissan 350z?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Older RS4?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Mate had a Jag S-R and although we both wanted to like it, we didn’t. Not certain why but it didn’t work. If fast on a flat straight is what you want then but an Audi. If you want a sports saloonj buy something else.

Doesn’t answer the question but confirms your thinking. Also AVOID Audis. I don’t care how nice the finish is, they are dull to drive. Everything is adequate. Make love to a woman and she says ‘that was adequate’ and that is the feeling you get driving an Audi.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Just read the other comments.

I switched an Audi S8 for a Mercedes CL600AMG. The Merc isn’t quite as comfortable but is SO MUCH BETTER I need to use capitals.

Nissan Z cars are good. 370 has the edge over the earlier 350s

Earlier RS4s. Great is a straight line. depends if your jurnies ever involve corners and enjoying the drive

cynic-al
    Free Member

Make love to a woman and she says ‘that was adequate’

I have no idea what that might be like.

loddrik
    Free Member

Skoda octavia vrs…… ?

andyl
    Free Member

@Als comment – me neither…if that is the price for not owning nice cars I think I can live with that 😉

maccruiskeen

something to aspire to though

samuri
    Free Member

Because they’re normally asleep?

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀

I’m still a virgin

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have recently sold a PX’d 2003 E500 with every conceivable toy, one owner & FMBSH for £6k, it must of been about 80K new, now that was a sports saloon!
    If it wasn’t for the 15mpg I would of kept it for myself.

geoffj

If it wasn’t for the 15mpg I would of kept it for myself.

😯

KT1973
    Free Member

BMW M3. It’ll have to be an old one for that money. Or even an M5

mboy
    Free Member

I’d say E39 M5 all day long, but for some reason the OP has specified Auto only. So…

Merc E55 AMG
    Audi RS6
    Alpina B10 (almost an auto M5 basically)
    Jag XJR
    Holden/Vauxhall Monaro/VXR8
    VW Passat W8 (not obvious, but v nice and v different)

That’s about all the options I can think of now other than the X Type you already drove that have an auto box. Why auto only if you don’t mind me asking?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I had a W8 Passat as a company car, and although it was deeply impressive in many ways, it was absolutely not, in any way, sporty.

The newer Phaeton is a fabulous car; well made, powerful and effectively a Bentley under that dull exterior. But not sporty. Vanessa Feltz is more sporty.

For my money I’d go Jag, but XJR. This just makes the budget.

TheFlyingOx

Infiniti G35 sedan

Same engine as the Nissan 350Z but 4 doors and lots of luxury.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Same engine as the Nissan 350Z ..

A Renault V6 then.

At least no-one could accuse you of being a badge snob.

spw3

This is a classic error. There is no such thing as a sport saloon, just sports cars and saloons. Decide which you want and buy that.

spw3

This is a classic error. There is no such thing as a sport saloon, just sports cars and saloons. Decide which you want and buy that.

What a typically STW-like answer and totally wrong spw3

Just to pick one of the above mentioned cars – what would you describe an M3 as, if not a sports saloon?

Hadge
    Free Member

You will just about get an E46 M3 BMW for that money which is by far anway the best of the cars mentioned above. Might only be a 2 door but they ar stunning cars and a proper drivers car.

Deveron53
    Free Member

My ideal car would be an E39 540 touring. Loads of space and the excellent stiff chassis E39 handling.

TheFlyingOx

A Renault V6 then.

At least no-one could accuse you of being a badge snob.

A Nissan engine used in four Renault models does not make the engine a Renault.

At least no-one could accuse you of knowing what you’re talking about 😛

bigbloke
    Free Member

Going to get flamed on this but….Alfa 156 GTA 3.2V6 at that budget would get a very nice one, best sounding engine note by far and not very common.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

You should visit Bathurst sometime …

Neighbour just traded his S type R on a new XF, the S type was incredibly quick, had every bell and whistle, but chewed tyres apart, wouldn’t move if there was a hint of snow or ice, slid all over the place in the wet and generally scared the wife every two minutes.

He’s never regretted the XF (nor do i … as also have one) Might be a personal thing but the torque of a large diesel is more usable. Ive had a Holden Commodore SS in the past which is similar output and issues to the S types

ianpinder
    Free Member

Infiniti are also Nissan….

Kato

there’s is nothing sporty about an old man’s Jag IMO. M5 all the way

br
    Free Member

I’d say E39 M5 all day long, but for some reason the OP has specified Auto only.

Last manual I had was a 405 Mi16, had many auto’s before and lots since – m/c is a manual though, with a proper (sequential) gearbox 🙂

The Nissen’s are fun cars, but only 2 seats so no good – have 3 kids.

Looked at E500’s, good spec and well quick – but as said heavier on fuel than I’d want.

Audi’s just don’t do it for me.

Monaro’s are fun (but manual) and I nearly managed one as a company car – I could have any Vauxhall as my grade was a 530i. My boss signed the form, but then mentioned to the Accountant (car buff), that I wanted one of those little people-carrier things – confusing Meriva with Monaro…

Hadn’t thought of the XJR; quite like the XF’s, but I’m too tight to spend the current £20k I’d need to.

Flaperon

Passat CC?

fruitbat

bigbloke – Member

Going to get flamed on this but….Alfa 156 GTA 3.2V6 at that budget would get a very nice one, best sounding engine note by far and not very common.

I’m with bigbloke here. Alternatively what about my current steed, an Alfa 159 3.2 Q4 – automatic versions are extremely rare though and probably out of budget.

If you need more room an Alfa 166 3.2 would be well within budget – just need to add some Koni dampers to sort out the handling.

BrickMan

what about that mazda 6 MPS thing? You see the odd one about, look tidy.
    Also the Lexus thing, again don’t know the name or the details as I have no interest in eastern stuff whatsoever.

Guess you could just get a newer 530/535?
    I love jags, but I completely fail to get excited about the X or S type models, just look/feel/are(?) american interpretations of what a jag should be like. Guess for the price a 5yr old XJ-R’charger would be the ticket?

MartynS

M5… I doubt you’d do better.

I’ve said it before but a Mondeo ST220 in a massive ammount of fun for not much cash, but if your after jags etc you won’t want a ford

bruk

I’d go with a newer 535d, always auto, bit od a lazier drive maybe than a petrol but a huge amount of torque.

Conqueror
    Free Member

volvo s40 or s60
    skoda octavia

Deveron53
    Free Member

I assume rear drive would be a requirement? Best handling by far. As Top Gear said, BMWs are safe to drive now as all the d1ckheads are now Audi-botherers!

br
    Free Member

I’m with bigbloke here. Alternatively what about my current steed, an Alfa 159 3.2 Q4 – automatic versions are extremely rare though and probably out of budget.

No, a friend has a manual Brera version – he drives like a granny and still struggles with early 20’s mpg – plus its not really an Alfa engine, more a GM one…

I’ve been looking at 535d’s, but tbh at twice the price of the Jag for the same age – they look dear.

As Top Gear said, BMWs are safe to drive now as all the d1ckheads are now Audi-botherers!

This was due to me, as I bought my Beemer the week before Clarksons’ announcement 🙂

easyrider
    Free Member

A Lotus Carlton if you can find one or if not a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth 4*4.
    But : they are not autos.
    In that case how about a Bentley Turbo R : that’s an auto!
    Or even an Aston Martin Lagonda 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘New car time – sports saloon’ is closed to new replies.