Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • New (car) SatNav – recommendations plase
  • nemesis
    Free Member

My car SatNav is getting a bit long in the tooth – it’s an old Garmin 205 model which still works but is slow and clunky to enter details on and doesn’t do any of the nice lane indications, etc. and sometimes gets a bit confused when changing routes mid journey.

I used OSM for holiday in France last year and I’ll probably use it again but I have been considering getting a replacement satnav, ideally with ‘proper’ French maps.

So, anyone seen any good deals recently or just recommendations – looking at the cheaper end of the scale ideally.

TIA

nemesis
    Free Member
    diz

I’ve had a TomTom one T for about the 8 years it’s been fantastic, however when I went to update the maps it’s about £50 so buying the on you have linked to from Argos sounds like a great idea.

Thanks Diz

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks for that 🙂

PePPeR

My wife broke mine 2 weeks ago, so I needed a new European one, I picked up a 5″ Tom Tom go from Halfords for £109 with free lifetime updates, it’s brilliant.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have always been a Garmin fan but the new Tom Toms are really excellent.

Cheaper end of the scale is to use your smart phone and download the maps when you have wifi and then use the satnav app with data roaming turned off. Aside from Google Maps we find waze really good (in France and the UK)

nemesis
    Free Member

I did consider that actually but I find that the phone GPS is just a little laggy compared to the ‘proper’ one in my Garmin – eg it tells you about junctions just after you arrive at them – fine when you’re driving on motorways but less good when driving on the wrong side of the road in local traffic in Europe 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@nemesis agreed on that, at £100 for a proper satnav which works without data roaming concerns it’s hard to argue. I recall I paid £300 for my Garmin 8 years ago and its pretty crude by todays standards. Can’t bring myself to throw it away as it still works and it pains me to do so given what I paid for it !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘New (car) SatNav – recommendations plase’ is closed to new replies.