Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • New Car Prices….I must be getting old.
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

richmtb – Member
    Buying new cars is a mugs game and yes they are expensive. £27k for a Golf GTI for example seems a bit mad

Yep why would you want the GTi special look at me steal me edition?
    I guess because it’s sporty and you can throw it into corners and pretend that your a racing driver and rev it and impress the ladezze.
    You can get some fairly good cars if your forget the must have a big engine lots of BHP and STUFF!!!

hora
    Free Member

The (future) move to lighter cars will be interesting.

When you have a 900kg car its very hard to sell it as reassuringly expensive when the doors etc are very light/sound tinn’y.

There wont be a mass move to carbon/lighter materials for hatches etc so prices will start to come down on average I feel.

Why are they so expensive?

Loaded with electronics and gadgets because that’s what the customer wants/what you can market. Do you REALLY need ABS? Whens the last time you used it?

The vast majority of drivers- if they stamp on the brake hard enough to activate the ABS they wont turn the wheel and avoid. They’ll FREEZE.

Take off the new car tax, the VAT etc etc etc, strip out the stupid new headlights. Take a car back to basics and you will be in the £6k new for cars wont you?

also without the marketing, prices CAN come down futher,

muddyground
    Free Member

There wont be a mass move to carbon/lighter materials for hatches etc so prices will start to come down on average I feel.

Have you seen one of these? Reclaimed materials interior, £30k please:

The simple BMW.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kimbers

mikewsmith – Member
    pretend that your a racing driver and rev it and impress the ladezze.

the amusing thing about it is that when youre driving a flash motor you are far more likely to get checked out by men than women- well in the case of my mate in his boxster as he revs the engine like the city boy he is

if you want laydeez stealing sly glances nothing better than driving a 2.5 ton truck working for the council looking after the local parks- that was a fun summer

richmtb

You can get some fairly good cars if your forget the must have a big engine lots of BHP and STUFF!!!

Your right what was I thinking s/h Rover 400s are much cheaper too. Now where did I put my pipe and slippers

FWIW I just thought the Golf GTI was a good example of an everyman car – not to big, not too small, not too, fast not too slow, solid mid range manufacturer – that the average person could reasonably own if they wanted one. I didn’t realise it was nearly £30k for a new one

toby1

I’ve got a “Look at me/steal me” type R with lots of BHP, I love it and yes it is a lot of fun to drive. It cost me £3k I’ve done 30k miles in it over 3 years and it’d probably still sell for £2k if I needed to sell it too. I’d never buy new, not forecourt new but I have been looking at newer cars recently, I do wonder who people fund Range Rovers and the like!

molgrips
    Free Member

Thats my point. People are scared of a £1000 bill that they may get to repair something big if it goes wrong but will happily pay £10k over 3 years in depreciation.

But you get something for your £10k – a shiny new car. You get nothing for your repair bill, you just get put back to where you were in the first place.

molgrips
    Free Member

When you have a 900kg car its very hard to sell it as reassuringly expensive when the doors etc are very light/sound tinn’y.

It’s more about safety and getting a 5 star ncap rating imo.

Do you REALLY need ABS? Whens the last time you used it?

Bad example. ABS saves tons of lives, it’s a no brainer. Electric windows, heated seats and a 7 speaker stereo would be better examples.

But there’s no point in asking the manufacturers to make £5k simple cars when you can get a 4 year old nice one for £5k.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

To clarify, it wasn’t an S3, it was a 2.0 TDi SLine with plenty of extras.

Jesus £36k for a car that is small, harsh ride, doesnt go around corners, and is a diesel!

maxtorque

Whilst the very notion of “value” is entirely subjective, i find it amazing what people spend on their cars. I’m not talking about Ferraris or Lambos or whatever, no, those you expect to be expensive and niche, but the cost of otherwise more normal cars, like say the new F type Jag. Buying that car will not change your life. it’s a nice convertable/coupe but that’s it, and yet it seems to cost £70k? Who IS buying these things??

RustySpanner

molgrips – Member

But there’s no point in asking the manufacturers to make £5k simple cars when you can get a 4 year old nice one for £5k.

I’d rather have the new, simple one. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

You’re in the minority. Why not set up a company importing the new simple cars from India or China, see how many you sell 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

it’s a nice convertable/coupe but that’s it, and yet it seems to cost £70k? Who IS buying these things??

I for one am very very grateful to people who take out finance on new cars.

An example:

Mercedes CLS350 Grand Edition

£51,000 new in 2010
    £17,000 approved used from Mercedes with 40k on the clock

Ownership for first 40,000 miles = £36,000 (£51k – approx £15k trade in)
    Ownership for next 40,000 miles = £11,000 (£17k – approx £6k sale)

Bonkers!

An extended warranty is around £50 per month after the first 12 months, so an extra £1,800 on the used buy if you want a total of 4 years peace of mind.

angeldust
    Free Member

The problem I have with new cars is the depreciation, just scary to think how much it costs.

A few people I know buy new cars every 3 years so they avoid the cost of MOT’s and service/repair bills. To me that is madness, spending thousands to avoid potential bills of 100’s.

I’m sure some people are stupid enough to believe that they are saving money by buying a new car every 3 years, but I don’t believe the majority are that thick. More will do it to avoid the hassle of dealing with repairs etc, that will happen with greater frequency as a car ages (plus, don’t forget the manufacturers warranty). Obviously, not the most economic way of doing it, but if you are busy enough, and have the money, the lack of hassle is very valuable. Oh, and before some clever dick wants to justify their thriftiness at buying old, cheap cars, I am aware they can be reliable if you pick the right one/maintain it yourself/are not fussy about driving something crap.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Mercedes CLS350 Grand Edition

£51,000 new in 2010
    £17,000 approved used from Mercedes with 40k on the clock

Ownership for first 40,000 miles = £36,000 (£51k – approx £15k trade in)
    Ownership for next 40,000 miles = £11,000 (£17k – approx £6k sale)

Bonkers!

£279.92 + VAT per month for a CLS250 CDI AMG on a personal lease.

That’s who’s “buying” new ones and why you get so many 10k per year, mint condition examples on the 2nd hand forecourts.

boltonjon

I used to work in the motor trade and couldn’t understand why people would buy new – but as a 17 year old, I thought that what all people done if they had money – whilst I drove a £100 banger

Now, 20 years on, i’m doing pretty well financially, but wouldn’t dream of buying a new car – jesus – i wouldn’t even spend £3K on a car

I’m currently driving a ’97 Audi A4 estate. It cost £700 just over 2 years ago, i’ve done 30,000 miles in it and its been 100% reliable. I’ve maybe spent £500 of repairs/tyres

It seats 5 people, has 150 bhp, full leather, ABS, air con, a stereo, will swallow lots of bikes and goes plenty quick enough

So, its cost me about £50 per month since i’ve had it.

To get the equivalent A4 on finance would cost me about £4K deposit and £300 per month for 3 years and THEN i’d have to think about the depreciation

Utterly bonkers – so let some other mug take the sting and then i can spend all my money on shiny new bikes and bits 🙂

willjones
    Free Member

Loaded with electronics and gadgets because that’s what the customer wants/what you can market. Do you REALLY need ABS? Whens the last time you used it?

Driving normally? Twice, ever. And I’d have given everything I own to have had it, both times.

hora
    Free Member

I knew a lad who was paying £400 a month to lease a car.

He couldn’t afford 2xContinental tyres.

bails

I remember seeing some stats on it, aren’t the majority of new cars ‘sold’ actually company cars or finance/PH/lease?
    Only something like 30% of sales are proper ‘cash’ sales.

hora
    Free Member

70% of new Mercs are on lease deals.

footflaps

Do you REALLY need ABS?

Regardless, ABS are required on all new passenger cars sold in the EU since 2007.

john_drummer
    Free Member

if you want cheap AND new, buy a Dacia. Their most expensive model costs less than many models of Ford Focus; their cheapest is slightly less than £6k

ok the cheapest won’t have any toys but so what?

peterfile
    Free Member

Where are you getting that figure?

Most personal leases I can see are upwards of £400-500 inc VAT?

chestrockwell

FWIW I just thought the Golf GTI was a good example of an everyman car – not to big, not too small, not too, fast not too slow, solid mid range manufacturer – that the average person could reasonably own if they wanted one. I didn’t realise it was nearly £30k for a new one

Since when has a Golf GTI been any of these? It’s the sports version of a semi premium brand. It’s been 25k+ for years, before options.

Audi prides itself on being premium. The Seat Ibiza or Skoda Octavia are the ‘everyman’ version. The Golf is the upmarket one, the A3 the poshest one. Why would any one expect it to be cheap?

For the record I don’t think new cars are that bad a deal these days. In 1989 the Ford Fiesta 1.6S was just short of 10k. In 1999 I bought a Fiesta Zetec for £9200 that out performed the old 1.6S in virtually every way. I bet the base spec Fiesta available now (11k ish?) has improved a great deal over my old Zetec. Not bad IMO.

I’ve just got back in to new cars after a while in second hand and don’t consider myself ‘thick’. I pay X per month and will give it back before it needs any new parts, including tyres. I will then get another new one.

If I bought a couple of year old one for say 10k I’d have to get a loan which would cost Y per month for 5 years say. In that time I’d have to cover everything that wears out (Tyres at £100+ each, cambelt, clutch etc) and hope that nothing else went wrong. I’d also have to MOT it each year. With the miles I do the now 7 year old car would be well worn by the time it was paid off and worth next to nothing so I’d be looking to change and would have to get another loan to pay for it.

To me the new option is much better and doesn’t actually cost much more.

hooli

But you get something for your £10k – a shiny new car. You get nothing for your repair bill, you just get put back to where you were in the first place.

But how long does the shiny new stage last for? A week, a month, then you are just paying for a normal car.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Now, 20 years on, i’m doing pretty well financially, but wouldn’t dream of buying a new car – jesus – i wouldn’t even spend £3K on a car

The majority of people doing pretty well financially wouldn’t dream of spending £3k+ on a push bike and would rather put that towards a shiny 2.0tdi with big wheels and a built in sat-nav.

People making sacrifices in order to buy something they enjoy shocker!

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve just got back in to new cars after a while in second hand and don’t consider myself ‘thick’. I pay X per month and will give it back before it needs any new parts, including tyres. I will then get another new one.

A lot of it depends on the standard of car you want.

For some people, the main priority is having the “status” of a brand new car and no risk of surprise bills (which is why you so see so many bottom end BMWs/Mercs etc out and about).

Some people would prefer to have a better car and aren’t so fussed about it not being brand new.

A lot of it comes down to affordability too. I couldn’t/wouldn’t be able to justify spending £36k on depreciation for a CLS350, but I could justify £11k. So it comes down to simple maths for me.

That same £11k could rent me a brand new basic C200.

Hmmmm, a 2010 CLS350 Grand Edition v 2014 C200. It’s a no brainer for me, but I’m sure for others the quality of the car/engine comes second to having a 2014 plate car.

footflaps

If people stopped buying new cars it would kill off the 2nd hand market, you can’t have one without the other!

peterfile
    Free Member

Which is why I said:

I for one am very very grateful to people who take out finance on new cars.

🙂

Them fulfilling their goal for 3 years makes it possible for me to fulfil mine!

molgrips
    Free Member

But how long does the shiny new stage last for? A week, a month, then you are just paying for a normal car.

Excatly. That’s what I said to my dad. He wanted a diesel but thought he couldn’t afford one for £10k – for some reason he was insisting on 1 year old.

There’s a bit of difference in niceness terms (but not much) between a 1yo and 3yo car, 5 years later there’s no difference between a 6 and 8 year old car. But you’ve still paid double.

Anyway – buying a new car to get a 3 year warranty is stupid. The extra cost of the car far outweighs any repairs it’ll need. If you really want hassle free buy a 3 year old Kia.

marcus
    Free Member

In my mind the ‘cost’ of a car is: the cost of maintenance, plus depreciation plus the interest on any money I have borrowed to finance it. (I’m assuming in this example that mpg, insurance, etc. are similar). A higher purchase price doesn’t always mean higher ‘cost’.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m definately getting old.
    Loads of folk saying that used car values are through the floor and here’s me thinking that used car values have suddenly gone through the roof.

Bought my current Mondeo estate at 3 y/o and 40k in 2008. Paid a ticket price of nearly £7k but that included an artificially high trade in so maybe real cost of about £6k.

Run it for another 120k over 6 years, now thinking about a change. Worth nowt now, so that’s a £1k per year cost of depreciation.

If I look at an equivalent motor now, they all seem to be at the £10k mark. On the same 6 year cycle, depreciating to nowt, that’s £1.6k per year in depreciation. Second hand motor cost is therefore up >60% by my logic 🙁
    i.e. a 60% price hike

muddyground
    Free Member

To me the new option is much better and doesn’t actually cost much more.

There is that. Running old bangers at 20mpg ended up costing me more than I could get an equivalent new Aygo on PCP just on the difference in monthly petrol costs alone. Didn’t make sense, so the banger went. However, the 2003 Fiesta I got to replace my 20 year old Volvo with still does over 40mpg where the more modern petrol cars struggle to get near 50mpg by all accounts. The ten year old Fiesta was better value for me.

As a family we used to buy new, and it was nice for a week or so. Month down the line it’s just another car being used to take stuff to the dump. Everybody I’ve ever known in the motor trade looks at new cars as a waste of money. That is unless they are trying to sell you one….

Tend not to agree with the big bill scenario. If you’re running a £700 car and it needs repair work, it goes in the big skip in the sky.

hora
    Free Member

As soon as you park in a Supermarket carpark on a Saturday afternoon.

Olly
    Free Member

I would like a golf please, except I would ideally like to pay a further £2k more for it.

Youll be wanting an Audi a3 then sir! May I suggest a white one?

We can’t ALL buy second hand can we?!

xiphon
    Free Member

The forecourt price for new cars is like the RRP for bike stuff.

I’d rather wait a few years, and buy the same frame/bike/kit second hand.

Some people will ONLY buy new, then sell it on after 12/18 months. They accept the depreciation in value as “annual cost” of their hobby, cycling.

I added up the RRP on all the bikes in our garage (which get used, equally), it was about £15k+

BMX alone was close to £1k, and that gets ragged around the race track every week!

julians
    Free Member

There are big discounts available against the list price of a lot (but not all) of new cars. You might have to go further than your local dealer, and/or be good at negotiating, but there are often big discounts to be had.

Its rare that you should pay the list/sticker/rrp price.

I just bought a new car, for 18% under the list price. it involved travelling a 500 mile round trip to get that deal , but I dont mind that for a significant cost saving.

peterfile
    Free Member

You might have to go further than your local dealer, and/or be good at negotiating, but there are often big discounts to be had.

You didn’t need to travel so far…Drivethedeal seem to be pretty good!

julians
    Free Member

You didn’t need to travel so far…Drivethedeal seem to be pretty good!

the best drivethedeal (& others) could do for the car I wanted was 13% discount off the price of the car without options, and no discount off the options themselevs, so it was still worth the (relatively minor) hassle to save 18% of the total price of the car with options. It worked out as roughly double the discount that drive the deal offered.

But drivethedeal and co are good for those that dont like to negotiate, and or want zero hassle.

djglover
    Free Member

I have always been a second hand car person, that is until the m135i was brought out. I decided I couldn’t wait around for a second hand 3 year old one plundered my savings and took out an 11k loan to get one.

I did negotiate around 6k off the list price though, but at 30k, it was still more than twice what we’d ever spent on a car.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘New Car Prices….I must be getting old.’ is closed to new replies.