• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • New car new bike new bike rack needed . . .help
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

So I have a new car, with roof rails but no tow bar.

Because I felt so traumatised having to buy a new car I’ve also bought a new bike to make me feel better 🙂

However the new bike can run 29 or 650b+ wheels.

Do I need to worry about the plus tyres fitting in a rack?

I am undecided as to whether to get a tow bar fitted or to get some carriers on the roof.(I am only 5’6″ and not wonder woman so I wonder if juggling three bikes onto the roof might be a bit of a nightmare)

I will carry 3 of our bikes – but the ability to carry 4 would be good if I’m feeling particularly sociable.

And thought and suggestions would be much appreciated 🙂

Cougar

I doubt it; the rack attaches to the frame, not the wheels (well, except at the bottom).

Check the configurator thingy at http://www.roofbox.co.uk

bainbrge

There was a new Thule at sea otter that had a clever wheel clamp accommodating many different sizes. Meant no frame clamping at all.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Hmm, the only thing that was stopping me fitting a towbar to mine was the cost (towbar fitted, plus 3-4 bike rack).

I have 3 carriers on the roof, but I’m a 6’2″ mountain of man meat! 😉

Tried out my new carriers today. Takes some getting used to, but I had rubbish old Thule ones with plastic wheel wells before, couldn’t get any fatter that 2.2 tyre without deflating.

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/fork-mount-roof.php

If it was a new car, I’d probably go the towbar route.

Depending on how wide the car is, 4 bikes might be a faff on the roof. I can just fit 3 on my Altea Freetrack. With more modern carriers, I don’t think tyre width is an issue.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

OK – so I guess if they make one to fit all wheel sizes the others may struggle to accommodate all when sizes?

I see what cougar means about them being held on by the frame on most so the wheels don’t matter – but I’m sure I read somewhere that fatter wheels don’t fit in the carrier below properly. . . Maybe I just dreamt it

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Thanks John – you are right a weedy short thing like myself may be better off with the tow bar one anyway.

Will price it up . . . And possible scare myself judging by your comment!

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’d recommend a Atera Strada DL
    A German product very well made & easy to use, if you check out Roofbox.com there are plenty of racks & videos showing how to use them.

A new car & bike surely deserves a new rack & you get that added bonus of know it’s secure also they tilt away from the car allowing access to boot or hatchback.

jjojjas
    Free Member

I have an estate now so the bike fits in if its just me. But…..
    Ive had roof rail and tow hitch type carriers and their is no real perfect solution. Roof rails can be noisy in the wind but the worst part I found was the mud dropping on the roof (pretty bad if you had miles to drive, its was crap weather and your car was nice). Tow hitch mounted was best for keeping the car tidy, but it can be a faff on getting the rack out the garage and fitting it…even more so if you fit a detachable hitch.

Now I just put the bike in the boot if I’m by myself, but I’ll fit a tow hitch for the multi rider days. I always found it easier to get 4 bikes on a tow hitch then 3 on a roof…. and I’m 6’2″.
    ps, I my bikes are 26,27.5,29 and 700c tyre sizes and my last tow rack was the Thule 9503 3 bike one. Can’t really fault it but my mate has an old pendle 4 bike one and its good.
    Jas

br
    Free Member

Schoolgirl error not doing the deal (for a towbar) at the time of buying.

But if you are going to buy roof bars then just take a collapsible step with you.

Tow hitch mounted was best for keeping the car tidy, but it can be a faff on getting the rack out the garage and fitting it…even more so if you fit a detachable hitch.

Eh, why would you remove the parking sensor? 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘New car new bike new bike rack needed . . .help’ is closed to new replies.