• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by 2002.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • new car – cracked tyres
  • scruff9252

I’ve just picked up a 3yr old car and noticed that all 4 tyres are cracked and perished.

Just called the dealershipnand requested they all be replaced. Whilst salesman is off chatting to his manager, am I reasonable in requesting new tyres?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Yes, but whether they are reasonable in acceding to your wish is a different matter…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Were they the same tyres you saw prior to agreeing the price or have they been swapped.

cookeaa

applies more to aftermarket used/partworn/remoulded tyres…

The structural integrity must not be compromised. It should be free of large cuts, any bulges or lumps both internally and externally. No plies or cords should be exposed.

Whether or not cracks are the same as “large cuts” is where the debate may arise, you could well argue that the structural integrity is compromised, the semantics then rest on whether they believe they simply sold you a ‘used car’ or a ‘used car’ including it’s part worn tyres (for which they accept they have responsibility)…

The cracking indicates the rubber is perishing, as all tyres do in the long term, so they’re old and more likely to fail in the short run…

dealerships will do the minimum they believe they can get away with in order to be legally compliant i.e. check tread depth…

bedmaker

What trailrat said.

Sandwich

Would it pass an MoT inspection test? If not then the dealer will be required to replace them if you bought it as ‘roadworthy’.

Basil

Tyres are date stamped now?

ski
    Free Member

I would not expect a 3 yo car to have cracked rubber? Has the dealer swapped them?

shifter
    Free Member

Basil – Member

Tyres are date stamped now?

Yeah, eg 4514 would be 45th week of 2014.

Free Member

I see this on a fair few cars in for there first mot at 3 years even at times with the cords material sticking out of the rubber. One older chap was not very happy when I failed his 12000 mile car with me but changed his mind after the tyres firm looked and said the tyres on his car where 5 years old. Some make of tyres seem very prone to this and it is nearly always on the out side wall which ghetto the sun light on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘new car – cracked tyres’ is closed to new replies.