Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)
  • New car advice needed – fun 3rd car
  • squealer
    Free Member

As a family I have a van and my wife has a car and We have 2 youngish kids.

We’ve decided that we want a fun convertible car as a 3rd car. Ignore running costs etc as it will do very little mileage, maybe circa 4K per annum.

Wish list is 4 seats, convertible and petrol. Budget up to 40k ish. Got to be reliable and easy to drive – no lamborghinis or ferraris.

We went through this before and ended up with a 55 plate 911 (997) cabrio which was a right dog – engine rebuild etc which is why the budget is higher this time.

Shortlist so far is BMW m4 (eldest sons choice) or a newer 911 cabrio (my choice). Audi rs5 doesn’t seem to appeal for some reason.
    Anything else I should be looking at?

No judgements please, I know it’s a waste of money, just helpful suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

weeksy

Audi A4 convertible.

northernmatt

Mustang 5.0 V8

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

911 for me, it’s on my wish list!

angeldust
    Free Member

Audi A4 convertible.

At £40K you’ll be getting an A5. Convertible has not been a A4 since ~2009ish I believe.

northernmatt

Just browsing Pistonheads now while avoiding work and found this along with a few Bentley Continental GTCs

nbt
    alanf
    Free Member

Don’t bother with an M4 convertible, go for a 440i instead.
    If you want the M4 get the tin top.

tonyg2003

Sounds like you want another 911 cab (although get a 997.2 with the low risk of engine problems).

However you will know that your kids will struggle for space in a 911 as they get older.

So eclass / 3 series / audi convertibles. Maserati (this is STW adverts after all), Bentley, Aston Martin. All with potentially big bills.

ourmaninthenorth

E93 M3

jambalaya
    Free Member

Up to you of course but no need to spend more than £20k imho

911 isn’t close to a proper 4 seater, isn’t cabrio even smaller in the back ?. Get the BMW or A5. If its just for occasional use an A3

stumpy01

Evoque Convertible, surely the stylish solution to this conundrum?

😆

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

fun

A5

A3

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

Davey any covertible is fun on a sunny day. The wife has a Micra CC 8)

weeksy

northernmatt – Member

Just browsing Pistonheads now while avoiding work and found this along with a few Bentley Continental GTCs

By golly that’s a fine looking thing !

lazybike
    Free Member

M4 is a lovely looking car..

Sundayjumper

Budget up to 40k ish. Got to be reliable and easy to drive – no lamborghinis or ferraris.

I think your budget precludes any Lamborghini or Ferrari anyway 😀

The reasonably sensible choice, considering the need to carry four of you, is a BMW of some kind. Audis always get slated for wooden handling so depending on your definition of “fun” they might not fit the bill. Especially as you’re coming from a 911.

The 911 is probably too small for the family, but if you stretched the budget to a 997 Turbo you should be well protected from depreciation. A nearly-new BMW/Audi will be pretty horrendous in that respect.

Nico
    Free Member

I’m not seeing much “fun” in any of these suggestions, so …

https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/listing/citroen/mehari/mehari/1975/90898

DezB
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

fun

[/quote]

car

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Sundayjumper

The rear seats in a DB9 are even worse than a 911 !

convert

Just how squeezed are you happy for the kids to be? And how much of sport cars does it need to be? Assuming by your 911 previous you don’t mind folding the kids up but want thrills and ‘image’.

Mini Cooper S or JCW convertible might be fun and just about enough room for kids if wanting new/ as new.

My father had a VW Eos as his last car which was a perfectly good car but something about the look of the thing has put me off 4 seater open top cars in general for good. There’s something a bit Saga louts living it large on a day trip to the coast with pastel shaded pullovers wrapped over their shoulders about a proper 4 seater convertible. Convertibles should be two seater or at a push 2+2.

I think I’d go classic car and a minter of a lesser badge and possibly not use the whole budget. Stag?

natrix
    Free Member
    jimjam
    Free Member
    northernmatt
    the-muffin-man

2 Caterhams – both adults can have fun driving then – and you have 4 seats! 😀

the-muffin-man

I think I’d go classic car and a minter of a lesser badge. Stag?

Stag? – He said reliable!

😀

convert

I know it’s left field on the reliability front, but the ones that have been properly restored are supposedly good as the issues whilst big were known about and sorted at the time of restoration. Out the factory door, not so good!

jimjam
    Free Member

Sundayjumper – Member

“Budget up to 40k ish. Got to be reliable and easy to drive – no lamborghinis or ferraris.”

I think your budget precludes any Lamborghini or Ferrari anyway [/quote]

Plenty of Ferraris in that price range, 348s, Mondials, 400 etc. Reliability aside they won’t lose a penny, and something like a 355 is probably going to triple in value in the next ten years.

munrobiker
    Free Member

They do a Golf R convertible.

Although you can just about get a current Corvette convertible for about that money and they’re way more interesting than any Porsche. I’d sack off the kids and get one of them.

This is also way more interesting than a Porsche, and has four seats.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706036099315?make=MASERATI&model=GRANCABRIO&logcode=p

rickmeister

Enormous Fun

Some of it is “convertible”….

pictonroad

Something big and loud, not stiff and fast. Back of a fast convertible is a grim place to be, especially above 50mph.

I’d get a yank V8 soft top 4×4. International Harvester for the win but a bronco will do.

convert

This is also way more interesting than a Porsche, and has four seats.

Love the wind protector – or should that be a device for keeping the kids’ food and rubbish in the back with them!

mindmap3
    Free Member

M4 is a lovely looking car..

In coupe form yes, in convertible form…..er, no.

It’s hard to look past the 911 really, although I’m not sure I’d fancy spending much time in the back.

jambalaya
    Free Member

There’s something a bit Saga louts living it large on a day trip to the coast with pastel shaded pullovers wrapped over their shoulders

Brilliant 🙂

beej
    cultsdave
    Free Member

Porsche Panamera?

Sundayjumper

Plenty of Ferraris in that price range, 348s, Mondials, 400 etc.

A quick look on Autotrader, the only Ferraris under £40k are 3x Mondials. A 30+ year old Ferrari when the OP has specified reliable ? I don’t think so 😆 You need to go a lot newer if you want reliable, and that’s not going to fit the £40k budget.

jimjam
    Free Member

Sundayjumper

A quick look on Autotrader,

There are better places to look than autotrader.

A 30+ year old Ferrari when the OP has specified reliable ?

I did say “reliability aside” as a caveat. That being said you don’t know. An enthusiast owned classic needn’t be completely unreliable. It doesn’t sound like it would be ideal for the OP but I was just correcting your mistake – you can get Ferraris for £40k.

richmtb

Does it have to be a convertible?

Full size ones are just wrong IMHO and I can’t think of any that are seriously sporty rather than just boulevard cruisers.

With £40k for a fun coupe or saloon the world is your oyster. Looking at cabriolets kind of limits your options.

convert

Had another think about it – decided given wrong advice.

This is a mountain bike forum – the answer should be a rugged outdoorsy vehicle that’s a laugh to be in, going to places your normal boring cars can’t, tows stuff and carries outdoor toys.

4 seater convertible wanna be sports cars (or saloons with the tops chopped off)are bobbins, get something cool instead.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘New car advice needed – fun 3rd car’ is closed to new replies.