Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • New car advice??
  • crazyjenkins01

Hi all,

Considering a new car soon-ish. Currently have a Scenic but looking for something else.
    Have been looking at the S-max. Mrs likes the Qashqai and going to look at a Touran this pm, but wondering what other models to look at?
    Need space for 2 kids car seats, and nothing smaller than the scenic we have now. Going to put a tow bar on for bikes so no need for anything massive but decent boot space would be good!

Any suggestions?
    Cheers

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t really like cars. Means to an end and all that. But last year I had to hire a few times, and I really like the Qashqais I had. Although I think you have to get spendy on the extras/engines to get them fully sorted. I think I had a TEKNA and a N-CONNECTA models. Drove well, decent seating position and lots of toys. Obviously I cannot comment on longevity. Although I guess 5-10k of rental miles is double regular miles 😀

If you’re wanting the space of a Scenic, then maybe not ideal, tho.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Can definitely recommend the Touran as its great on space and flexibility. I had 2 of them until I didn’t need the space anymore.
    Used to fit 3 bikes standing up in the rear by removing 2 rear seats so easy to go away for cycling trips for 3 people.
    I also had a Thule Clip On rack to carry three bikes plus one on the roof rails if taking the whole family away.

dannybgoode

Old colleague of mine had owned a number of cars in that category.

Last bought a Qashqai and said when it was time to replace it he’d simly get another one.

si77

but decent boot space would be good!

I don’t think the Qashqai meets this requirement. But I suppose that would depend on definition of “decent”.

alexpalacefan

SIL has a Qashqai. The boot is minuscule.

APF

giantalkali
    Free Member

Get it from Ling?

jerseychaz

I’ve got a 2008 S-Max – huge boot, loads of rear leg room. You might not like the ride though, it’s an acquired taste but a nice driver. Also hired a Qashqai last week – not sure what model apart from the 1.6 diesel engine but it had loads of toys, leather seats and was a nice place to be & drive. I’d buy one if I was in the market for a brand new motor! Not sure that helps….

jimw
    Free Member

Diesel Qashqai’s, particularly the 1.6 , have not done very well at all in real world NOX testing, if that is of any bearing on your decision.

legend
    Free Member

Recent thread on Tourans, opinions weren’t great iirc http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/vw-touran-anyone-got-one

chestrockwell

We have a 14 reg Ford Kuga and like it a lot. Plenty of room for two kids seats, the pram and dog. It’s tough as old boots too and won’t cost a fortune second hand. Recommended.

riklegge

S-max here too, love it. Great rear space (enough for 3 car seats if required) and plenty of boot space. I’ve managed to fit wife, 3 kids, dog, all luggage plus a bike pretty comfortably. Feels like a car to drive, and only a little longer than a normal estate so parking is fine.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Our old qashqai has a decent sized boot bearing in mind it’s just a standard sized car, couple of cms bigger than a golf.

LMT
    Free Member

I’m looking at a nearly New kuga as my next car, neighbour has an older one and it looks great, drives nice and compared to my ds3 I can get 2 Bikes in the back, he was a bit surprised when I asked if I could try before I popped to a dealer to look!

andy4d

I looked at smax, touran, Tucson, quashqai etc and settled on a kia sportage. I was not to fussed what i got but kia gave me the best deal and free servicing etc so they got the sale. Have to say I am really happy with it, I feel I got a lot more for my money with the Kia and would get another. Fits the bike in the boot with seats down and front wheel off.

crazyjenkins01

Thanks for all the input guys!
    Will be test driving a Touran next Saturday (might even be able to get a…wait for it…. brand spanking new one!)
    Going to get Wednesday off and go look at some S-Max as well. Qashqai looks like its out, but might be considering a Skoda Kodiaq as the Fabia (old shape) we had previously was really good. Mrs is still keen on the Honda CR-V as well so might look at that Wedsnesday too.

BigJohn

We have an old 318 Touring, petrol. It’s remarkably good.

Tallpaul
    Free Member

In that sort of sized cross-over/SUV, take a look at the Mazda CX-5 too.

For us this was a better all round package than the X-Trail, Kia thingy or the CR-V. It just edged out the Tiguan as the local Mazda dealership are less shit than VW.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Diesel Qashqai’s, particularly the 1.6 , have not done very well at all in real world NOX testing

Yep, scary stuff.

The Qashqai N-Connecta DCI CVT (1598cc) produces 1.46g of NOx per kilometre. That is more than 18 times Europe’s 0.08g/km limit.

prawny

BigJohn – Member
    We have an old 318 Touring, petrol. It’s remarkably good

This, I was looking longingly at all the 3 series tourings on the way back from Cornwall on Saturday, we had to get rid of our saloon when Mrs P did her back in and couldn’t get in or out of it. The boot in the replacement 2 series Active tourer is allegedly the same size but I don’t buy it, it’s also not as fun to drive, not as fast, not as comfortable and not as economical. Insurance is cheaper though.

So I’d either get a 3 series or a ŠKODA Kodiaq, or one of those stupidly cheap Octavia lease deals I’ve been seeing. One was less than £200 for an Octy VRS. Simpson’s ŠKODA I think.

slackboy

The new VW Tiguan and Seat Alteca both look great to me. SUV driving position and the Tiguan has a bigger capacity boot than my Octavia estate. I’d look at either of those over a Touran/Scenic

The Skoda Kodiaq is a bit bigger than either of those I think.

crazyjenkins01

Had a look at a Kodiaq while in the Skoda place looking at a Rapid Spaceback (no good) and might consider a test drive for one of those as well, does look a bit big though! Gonna suggest the Tiguan and see what she thinks of that as well, for while test driving the Touran on Saturday.

Would like a Octy but looking for a higher driving position.

jambalaya
    Free Member

EDIT: jist seen you are looking at used so following might not be so useful. Used Yeti are good value imho

New Skoda Karoq is coming out in Jan 2018 to replace the Yeti (smaller than Kodiaq)

Also Seat small and medium SUV’s – another STWer just bought the medium sozed one (there was a thread)

Nissan are launching a new Juke supposedly larger than current model but smaller than Quashqai

VW Tiguan is nice but quite spendy

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m hoping the BMW 2-Series Gran Tourer is going to tick a few very similar boxes for me as I’ve just signed the order form for one as a new company car.
    I’ve currently got a Passat Estate, which is a great load-lugger + family car, but I wanted something a little bit shorter, and the extra seats (Gran Tourer is a 7-Seater) will be handy from time to time.

I looked at a 3-Series touring (which was another option on the list) but I felt it was as bit small inside.. lovely car though.

crazyjenkins01

@ Jam

Not sure we’re willing to wait on the Karoq, and the Juke is now out of the picture too (one of the first cars Mrs looked at). Might seriously consider the Kodiaq depending on cost.
    Didn’t think of Seat though, thanks for that.

craigbroadbent
    Free Member

The towbar bike rack requires quite a lot of thought too.
    There are flange, fixed, removable and retractable towbars.
    There are 7 pin and 13 pin electrics.
    There are platform racks or hanging type.
    and you can spend from £300-1000+.
    Remember that towbars are regulated items so the one from the dealer may be a bit nicer to look at, but it should perform the same, so some big savings to be made here. I wouldn’t economise on the electrics. At least get Vehicle specific ones, so that it is plugin not cutting the wires.
    cycle carriers

andy4d

If you were considering the juke/yeti then what about the new Kia stonic?

rone

New Skoda Karoq is coming out in Jan 2018 to replace the Yeti (smaller than Kodiaq)

Just ordered a Karoq on lease. Decent prices.

Boot is about 520L so much bigger than previous yeti, and bigger than Ateca.

Not sure what the spare wheels situation is though.

jdott
    Free Member

i am not sure which type of car you want than i give you advice

Nico
    Free Member

Interestingly the Ateca was (and might still be) being built at the Skoda plant in the Czech Republic. It’s supposedly quite fun to drive but a bit firm re. suspension. Petrol is 1.4. The Karoq is supposedly softer ride and available with 1.5 (some power as 1.4). Less sporty to drive. All this from reviews, though.

Yetis, even petrol, aren’t so good for emissions.

Alex

Driven Ateca and nearly bought one but 26 weeks for delivery for the petrol engine. Drove Kodiaq and decided it was too big for 90% of what I wanted. Koraq I thought looked expensive and none to test drive yet so interested about cheap lease costs. Probably going to have good residuals I guess.

90% decided to go second hand and buy a 6 month old car instead.

Ateca would have been my choice tho but can’t wait that long. Might even get a second hand one of those.

crazyjenkins01

Thanks for that @craigb

Juke too small and yeti… yuck! Considering the Kia Sportage though.

Had a look online at the Ateca today and that could be an option if the Mrs likes it.

Plenty of good options, thanks guys, will be a busy day tomorrow going round the dealers to look at stuff!

prawny

@Freeagent you should be good, we’ve got an Active Tourer and it’s great, just could do with a slightly bigger boot which the Grand Tourer has. We were going to get a Cmax but after having a 3 series for a big didn’t fancy going back to crappy interiors. Active tourer is a similar car, but a nicer place to be and a bit faster.

hot_fiat

Had a yeti, outgrew it. Vertically big boot was initially a PITA, but grew to love it. A proper family car that turned into a member of the family itself.

We replaced it with a kodiaq. Its generally lush and totally loaded with kit. The oddball 5-stroke (modified miller cycle) 180bhp petrol lump returns 35mpg but can be ponderous depending on which mode you have selected. The £2500 in have in my pocket from not choosing the 190bhp diesel makes up for that.

The factory fit electric towball is excellent and hauled our bike rack around europe for the summer.

Third row of seats are very useful, but you wouldn’t want to put anyone tall in there.

Beautiful it isn’t.

isto
    Free Member

We bought the Ateca with the 1.4tsi and think it’s super. Good amount of space without being massive to park and lovely to drive. The engine is a cracker, the downside as already pointed out is the 6 month wait for it.

rone

Might be worth checking with your Skoda dealer but I got a Karoq 1.0 SE Tech DSG on lease for 372+220 a month over 30 months.

Deposit has just come down from a 1000. Already a good deal. This is bonkers.

freeagent
    Free Member

@Freeagent you should be good, we’ve got an Active Tourer and it’s great, just could do with a slightly bigger boot which the Grand Tourer has. We were going to get a Cmax but after having a 3 series for a big didn’t fancy going back to crappy interiors. Active tourer is a similar car, but a nicer place to be and a bit faster.

Cheers Prawny, just what I wanted to hear – we really liked the active tourer but the bigger boot/extra seats in the Gran Tourer made it a no-brainer for us.
    I felt exactly the same re – Cmax/various French offerings – German interiors are just a bit nicer.

benp1

German interiors are ace

Are you looking for a brand new car, in which case what price (cash or lease), or a new to you car

I’m biased, I like estates. I like the way they look and I love their practicality

crazyjenkins01

So, have test drove the Grand C-Max, and the Kodiaq yesterday (without the Mrs!), got the Touran and X-Trail tomorrow, and might try and get one on a Tiguan this afternoon work permitting.

On cost, the Touran is winning by a fair amount. On ‘drive’ from the two I’ve tried so far the Kodiaq was very tasty….

prawny

I like the X trail too, and there’s some ridiculous lease deals on them if you can put up with the interior.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘New car advice??’ is closed to new replies.