Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New Camelbak – Problem… Its just too uncomfortable
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I bought a Camelbak HAWG NV from the LBS about 2 months ago ( I had some vouchers from that needed using up) I havent been on any long rides since I bought it, so I have only used twice, once to commute to work, and once just now for 30 mins.

The problem is that all the weight of the sack just rest on the bottom edge of the bottom pad on the back of the pack. No matter what I do ( I spent ages on the commute moving stuff around/adjusting straps etc) I just can not get it comfortable or, get the weight spread evenly.

It becomes quickly painful as though some one is standing on your back and quite quickly makes me feel sick.

I’m supposed to be doing the West Highland Way in 4 weeks time, and I know this pack will not be bearable all day.

Tomorrow I will ring the LBS and see if they will take it back ( I doubt they will) do Camelbak offer any returns?

mtbfix

Maybe get the shop or a buddy to have a look at you on the bike wearing the pack. It may just be a fit issue that you cannot see when standing upright fiddling with the straps.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Already had my Mrs look at it on my back, shes an Othopaedic surgeon so knows her stuff, and says its resting around where my kidneys are, but none of the other 3 pads on the sack are taking any pressure.

I’m quite short 5ft 6, so I wonder if my back just isnt big enough for the pack or some thing. The pads are very ridged and my wife says its only the bottom edge of the bottom pad that is taking the pressure. Mrs FD reckons if we cut off the bottom pad it will make it more comfortable.

mtbfix

Rest assured, the lbs won’t have it back with a pad cut off. Maybe consider flogging the pack and buying a girls one which will be designed for a shorter back and hopefully not pink and flowery.

slparsons
    Free Member

Some Osprey packs are offered in short/long lengths, the difference to me as a tall guy was a big difference in comfort.

I’d sell yours and get something else.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The lbs should take it back or exchange it won’t they? Even if you give it a wash it should still look brand new. If you get a different model from them you could just swap over the bladder if they’re worried about hygiene.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wobbli – unfortunately they only stock Camelbak, and all the larger Camelbaks have the same design…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“The lbs should take it back or exchange it won’t they? Even if you give it a wash it should still look brand new. If you get a different model from them you could just swap over the bladder if they’re worried about hygiene.

Highely unlikely . Its used and you had the chance to inspect before parting with your cash,

Are you adjusting the pack right ?

Many folks i see out on the trails are wearing their shoulder straps like an apathetic teenager who doesnt want to go to school hence exerting excess pressure in the wrong places.

ART

I’ve got one of these with the NV back and while it’s not as uncomfortable as you describe, it’s not as comfortable as my Osprey (which I have in the S/M length -I’m 5’4″). I’m considering getting another Osprey and flogging the Camelback. CRC have got some reasonable deals on Osprey at the moment.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I know this is unlikely to be of any use to you considering you are already potentially stuck with an uncomfortable pack but I’m about to order one of these..

http://usweshop.com/dept/BIKE_84794/ENG/EUR

for almost the same reasons, I have been through 4-5 different camelbaks over the last couple of years and have found them all to be lacking in the comfort stakes, mostly around the waist or the lower lumbar area. This pack looks to get around those so I’m going to give it a go. Besides, if it’s good enough for Steve Peat then..

wildheart
    Free Member

Im sure you’ve already tried this but just to make sure:

Are you using the sternum strap to bring the shoulder straps together ?

Have you put liquids in the bladder ?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New Camelbak – Problem… Its just too uncomfortable’ is closed to new replies.