Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New bush and bearings – notchy travel?
  • pedlad

Hi a bit of help from the suspension experts would be great – I’ve replaced the shock eye bush and pivot bearings (Orange ST4) and the travel feels lovely and smooth with no shock in the air.

Once the pressure is set though and I move the top tube up and down very slightly (I mean a few mm) there is a small notchy bit of movement (that few mm) like a click before the shock starts compressing.

This seems to come from one of the two lower mounting points on the linkage ST$ linkage which is the connection to the new shock bush or the “seat” stays.

Any thoughts how to determine what it is or how to fix as I don’t want that movemnet to trash my new bearings…..or is that normal for a new shock bush to have some play?

seanodav
    Free Member

Could it be the mounting hardware that’s worn maybe?

legend
    Free Member

Could it be the mounting hardware that’s worn maybe?

That would be my guess too. Still running the original top-hat style reducers?

pedlad

Many thanks for replies

They are the original mouting hardware – would it be the the thick alu easher type things on the shock eye end or the top hat bushes at the top of the shock?

Where do you get these from (i.e. are they frame specific?)

=

seanodav
    Free Member

if they are worn they will prob just fall out when you remove the shock.
    tftuned will sell yopu some.
    Could be either end or both

deadkenny
    Free Member

*If* it’s the mounting hardware, you could go for tougher ones. Typically you may have the top hat reducer stuff, alu, and the tough stuff I think is stainless steel through tubes and stuff like that. Often recommended as keeps other stuff from wearing and you just go through bushes instead (plus they often come with the tougher nylon or whatever bushes which last longer).

See tftuned, BETD and that dude off here I think (and ebay) who does them.

They’ll be specific sizes to the shock make, model as well as the frame. tftuned does a bit of a size guide but watch out for frame model versions, otherwise check the frame manufacturer’s manual or ask them.

Other possibility – maybe the shock needs a service? I’m no expert on all shocks, but got Fox RP shocks myself and a sleeve seal/oil service is dead easy to do myself with the relevant kit. Mine wasn’t notchy though, it just leaked air and went through all the travel, but thinking maybe if it’s sticky a service may help.

seanodav
    Free Member
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New bush and bearings – notchy travel?’ is closed to new replies.