Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • New build….Pike or an X-Fusion Metric….and wheel builds?
  • Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well, I sold my beloved 2010 Mega to fund a holiday when I was unemployed…now I have a graduate job, my own place and a half decent income….I’m saving hard for a new dream build :mrgreen: So, what would you attach to the following build:

Frame: Nukeproof Mega 27.5 Large Yellow
    Forks: Rock Shox Pike Solo Air 160mm
    Brakes: Hope V4 Evo (Pair)
    Rims: Derby 40mm Carbon Rims
    Hubs: Hope Pro 2 Evo (Pair)
    Spokes: Sapim Race (64)
    Stem: Race Face Turbine 35mm Clamp/35mm Length
    Bars: Easton Carbon 35mm 800mm wide
    Seatpost: Rock Shox Reverb Stealth
    Saddle: Tioga Twintail
    Grips: Renthal Wired Soft Grips
    Cranks: Race Face Next SL
    Derailleur: Sram XX1
    Cassette: Sram XX1
    Gear Shifter: Sram X01
    Chain: Sram 11 Speed
    Bottom Bracket Hope

A Metric set to 170mm instead of 180mm or a Pike? The Metric is bit of a beast…. once had a Totem that I adored, so do you think the extra 300 grams will be worth it over the Pike? I’ll be gaining 36mm stanchions, a 20mm bolt through and 10mm more travel for an 8mm increase in axle to crown. Never ridden a 650b bike so I’m wondering if 170mm of travel on such a bike is going to feel a bit tall at the front?

What’s the HLR damping like vs the closed bladder system of the Pike? Are the mid valve shims and high speed rebound shims user adjustable? I like fettling with stuff for the hell of it (I find it relaxing, for some odd reason) so a fork that I can tune/service easily myself would be great.

Also, could I go with some lighter spokes? I’d read somewhere (sheldon brown?) that really stiff rims coupled with lightweight spokes can cause torsional flex issues?

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

A bump for this – what happened in the end? Would be dead keen to know – looking at the same things myself.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘New build….Pike or an X-Fusion Metric….and wheel builds?’ is closed to new replies.