Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • New build; retro wheel size + faddy LT hardtail (Stanton Slackline)
  • timmys

The first bike I’ve built from the ground up so be gentle with me!

Intention was to build a fun bike for ragging around the likes of Chicksands/Woburn/local BMX track rather than for longer rides. My purchase was very much inspired by the original Slackline promo video from a couple of years ago that featured, errr, Chicksands and Woburn heavily. Obviously if the bike doesn’t have me riding those same lines with equal skill than I’ll be returning the frame under warranty.

Lots more pictures and horticulture review possibilities here

Thanks are due to a few people here that I bought stuff from in the classifieds and others for answering stupid build questions.

Spec.
    Frame; Stanton Slackline 631 18″ in Electric Blue
    Forks; 2010 Fox 36 Talas RC2 160/130/100 (to be run mainly @130)
    Wheels; Shimano XT M776
    Tyres; Conti X-King 2.4’s (Black Chilli Protections run tubeless with Conti revo sealant)
    Mech; Zee
    Shifter; XT (ispec)
    Cassette; XT 11-36
    Chainring; Renthal
    Brakes; XT
    Chainguide; MRP G3 mini
    Pedals ; DMR Vaults
    Bars; Easton Havoc 750
    Stem; Easton Haven 55 mm
    Post; Easton Haven
    Saddle; Charge Scoop
    Various Hope bits; Headset, bar ends, top cap, seatpost clamp

honourablegeorge

Can’t really fault that, other than the face that it’s in your house, not mine.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Cracking job! Really nice, apart from replacing the grips every week I’d love to roll that!

wwaswas

indoor shot?

*assumes lawn is in a right state*

Nice bike mister!

Bagstard
    Free Member

Very nice indeed, but rotate your chainguide anti clockwise a touch.

timmys

*assumes lawn is in a right state*

Check the link provided under the image for lawn review purposes (albeit with a bright blue dandyhorse blocking some of the view).

Very nice indeed, but rotate your chainguide anti clockwise a touch.

Thanks, I did wonder that. The instructions said the bolt in the upper guide should be at 12-12:30 o’clock from the centre of the BB and you’re right, looking again it’s probably nearer 1 o’clock.

chico66
    Free Member

Very nice!

Could be just the angle of the photo but I’m wondering if you did the same as me. Innocently cut the front brake hose so it followed the lines of the gear cables perfectly, then came to ride it, wound up the TALAS and thought ‘oohhh that looks a bit tight………….’

timmys

Could be just the angle of the photo but I’m wondering if you did the same as me. Innocently cut the front brake hose so it followed the lines of the gear cables perfectly, then came to ride it, wound up the TALAS and thought ‘oohhh that looks a bit tight………….’

Hmm, I think there’s enough length (the other photos in the link probably show it better), but you’ve worried me so will double check!

winch
    Free Member

Cracking bike!

I’d do very little differently if I were building a Slackline. My only comment is, you managed to avoid the black cranks pitfall and yet walked straight into white grips! Cheaply rectified and since you seem to have an eye for detail I’m sure they’ll be swapped for black within a couple of weeks!

Good job sir.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Man, that looks real nice. Love it!

House looks pretty tidy to — did you tidy up before taking the picture?

timmys

My only comment is, you managed to avoid the black cranks pitfall and yet walked straight into white grips! Cheaply rectified and since you seem to have an eye for detail I’m sure they’ll be swapped for black within a couple of weeks!

Exactly, an eye for detail so saddle and grips have to match! I wouldn’t be so sure that they’ll be swapped – I’ve managed 4 years with the same grips on my other bike 🙂

House looks pretty tidy to — did you tidy up before taking the picture?

No, that corner of the kitchen happened to be tidy. Can’t vouch for the rest of the house!

winch
    Free Member

timmys (AKA Mary Poppins) – I bet your house is spotless if you’ve run white grips for 4 years!

bungalistic
    Free Member

Looks real nice that does, so tempted to build one of these up myself but I know it wouldn’t get the use it deserves. I like the white grips (though they won’t stay white after the first ride)

trickydisco
    Free Member

trickydisco
    Free Member

Innocently cut the front brake hose so it followed the lines of the gear cables perfectly, then came to ride it, wound up the TALAS and thought ‘oohhh that looks a bit tight………….’

bugger. i did exactly that!. brake lever has to be pointed down (until i get a new hose)

steve_b77
    Free Member

Is the seat at ‘attack mode’ height or are you a bit of a short arse?

timmys

Is the seat at ‘attack mode’ height or are you a bit of a short arse?

Option ‘A’,(I’m 6’2″).

chakaping
    Free Member

Picture’s a bit crooked mate, have some respect.

timmys

Picture’s a bit crooked mate, have some respect.

I guess I asked for it by make people click a lick to see my lawn!

househusband

The looks lovely – nice build!

nickc

Looks really nice, love the colour. It’s contagious, here’s my Retro wheeled silliness

[/url] Shan by nickcummins1, on Flickr[/img]

steveoath
    Free Member

Timmys – nice build. I like posts like this with genuinely nice looking bikes, no ridiculous “bling”. Just nicely understated.

matt_outandabout

That is a bike that looks ‘right’. Nice.

orangewinger
    Free Member

How long did your frame take to arrive, I’ve just ordered mine on Friday?

griptool
    Free Member

Nice ride like the colour, shame about the lack of colour in the garden!

Ffs a few bedding plants wouldn’t break the bank…….. Considering what you’ve just spunked on a push bike 😉

timmys

I ordered before they were on the Stanton website so it was direct with Dan Stanton. I sent him money on the Wednesday and he sent the frame out on Friday. He could have sent it on the Thursday but I told him there was no hurry as it would be weeks before I would have the bits to put it all together! Can’t remember if it was delivered on the Monday or Tuesday. I’m sure Dan will update you if you email the contact address on the website.

orangewinger
    Free Member

He’s been very good with queries so far, it’s just gone a bit quite now I’ve ordered. I just need to be patient then 🙂

fergalk
    Free Member

I ordered my frame 2 weeks ago and sent full payment for shipping etc..
    Just got a reply today so hopefully will have the frame next week – I’ll fire-up a few snaps once it’s built-up.

cheers
    Fergal

scruff
    Free Member

I saw him last week, he was definitely alive.

honourablegeorge

steveoath – Member.

Timmys – nice build. I like posts like this with genuinely nice looking bikes, no ridiculous “bling”. Just nicely understated.

I always go with dayglo orange and turquoise when I want to be understated. 🙂

davedodd
    Free Member

That’s a lovely bike. I have the 853 in the same colour and it’s my fave riding bike.

drummer
    Free Member

Nice bike
    Skirting boards need painting ?

russianbob
    Free Member

Isn’t that first bit on the original video the Johnsons in shining cliff?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘New build; retro wheel size + faddy LT hardtail (Stanton Slackline)’ is closed to new replies.