Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New build – FF29 frame – advice on components
  • dharmabum
    Free Member

Hi all,

First post here.

I’m looking to put together a build around the FF29 frame from Kinesis. I have a budget of £1,500. I figure spend my budget on frame/fork/wheels in that order; and then add the rest. I’m new to all of this and so would welcome any helpful ideas. This is my first time back to biking in ages, but I wanted something different and personal to me. Initial use will be around easy trails until I get my eye in!

I’m wondering what people would recommend as a decent fork for around £350?

Also, I have the option to buy factory made wheels (such as the Shimano XT M785 for £200), or blow more cash on handbuilt Hope/Mavick wheels for around £320. Any thoughts as to whether the extra £120 is warranted?

Will probably buy a complete groupset as this looks the most cost effective thing to do.

Re: finishing – am tempted buy things like a Hope stem, but I have to save cash somewhere! Where can I spend less – and then build up later?

Thanks.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got an FF29 with X-Fusion slides, 15mm bolt through with 120mm travel and should be well within your price range, I’ve been pleased with them so far and have had quite a bit of x-fusion stuff which has all been good quality.

Personally I’d go with an SLX groupset, mavic wheels, fairly standard bar, stem etc and then see about getting a dropper post.

Should be do-able with £1500.

dharmabum
    Free Member

IvanDobski – thanks for that. Did you get your FF29 as a complete build? Just wondering where you picked up the X-Fusion forks (and what price, if you don’t mind me asking).

IvanDobski
    Free Member

No I built it myself.

Forks were £300 and ordered through my LBS.

Upgrade are the distributor for both Kinesis and X-Fusion so whoever is getting you the frame should be able to get you a fork as well. Maybe they can sort you a deal if you go for frame, forks and dropper.

I wouldn’t bother spending money on a fancy stem if you’re trying to keep to a budget, you can spend the money better elsewhere I reckon.

Great frame though, at 120mm it’s just right for techy lakes stuff whilst still being very stiff and fast.

ska-49
    Free Member

I’d go for;
    Frame & headset £500
    XT groupset from merlin £500
    RS rev/rebas on sale £250
    Hope hoops second hand £200
    Bar & stem £80
    Seatpost & saddle £50
    Few other bits for £20
    Total of £1600 for a great bike.

Could spend a little more on forks, wheels, dropper, carbon bar, etc.

dharmabum
    Free Member

@IvanDobski – thanks, again. I wasn’t sure whether to go 100 or 120mm, but I’m swayed now. I don’t think I can afford a dropper in this setup. Maybe something for the future.

@ska-49 – thank for the suggestions. Where have you seen those forks on sale? I’m thinking of the SLX groupset at £385.

Any recommendations for not-breaking-the budget tyres?

Cheezpleez

I think Upgrade are doing a deal on X-Fusion forks and the FF29 frame for £700 all-in. A mate’s done just that.
    I’ve got some X-Fusion Forks and have been v impressed.

I’d go for the Superstar / Stans Crest wheelset for £200 then buy an SLX groupset from wherever’s cheapest (Merlin are usually up there).

There are some good deal on bars at Chain Reaction – Nukeproof 800 flat bars are £25 at the mo and Blackspire 808s not much more and both of those would be well suited.

Get a Charge Spoon saddle, some M540 pedals from Wiggle, Twelfty seatpost and Superlight stem from On-One and you’re just about sorted.

Lots of cheap, quality tyres about if you look. On-One’s not a bad place to start.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve one too, my build is as follows:
    Reba RL’s at 100mm
    Crests on Hope Pro II evos
    Full 2×10 XT
    Deore M596 brakes
    Thomson post & stem with Sunline flat bars
    SDG duster saddle & ODI / SDG matching grips

If you’re on a budget, SLX is 99% as good as XT IMHO

Tyre wise, those cheap Racin Ralphs off on-one or Specialized Ground Controls

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Clean bike by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

I’ve got one as well, also with the X Fusion forks

fenboy

why don’t you just go for one of the build kits UPGRADE do comes in bang on your budget?? if your LBS can get you a frame they can get you the full bike seems like a no brainer!

Kinesis FF29 build

oops sorry misread it! its £1699 so a bit more but get the x fusions slides though, for the money great forks!

shinsplints

Get some of the cheap CRC Revelations if they still have any ? £250 IIRC. Mine came as 140 even though they are advertised as 130 but you should be able to take them down to 120

dharmabum
    Free Member

(haven’t figured out how to quote text/pics in replies, yet!)

@hummerlicious – great looking bike! Love the colour.

@fenboy – yeah, I saw the upgrade build, but it’s just a bit over what I want to spend.

Simple question here – should I be going for flat bars, or riser bars?

Cheezpleez

Flats, especially if you’re going to have a 120mm fork up front. And I’d go for something wide (740+) with a short stem. It feels much more natural on a bike like this IMHO

pigyn
    Free Member

The rrp on the upgrade full build has now been reduced to £1500, and should be available now ish as well.

wwaswas

I’ve got one as well, also with the X Fusion forks

never mind what bleedin’ forks it’s got, that fence is a disgrace! 😉

10 hours it’s been on here and not a single disparaging comment – what is stw coming to?

mattjg
    Free Member

never mind what bleedin’ forks it’s got, that fence is a disgrace

Generous to call it a fence IMO

Re flats, I tried some, mounted them horizontally and couldn’t get on with them. I actually sold the first set at a loss then tried again when I got another frame. During an insomniac moment I realised it was probably stupid to mount them horizontally, our arms aren’t horizontal. I rolled them forwards just a few degrees, to give it a litle rise on the grips, and voila spot on.

Likely you’ll want a shorter stem than the 80mm on that build. The Kinesis strut bars are nice and light as.

Our friend who bought an FF29 adores it, it’s doubled his love of riding and he’s FF on it both up and down. I found it a bit harsh on a short test ride, but it wasn’t set up for me, I’d like another go.

RRD
    Free Member

I think winstanley’s have the frames cheap at the moment and CRC have some good offers on forks but watch the specifics (ie steerer diameter, travel, qr etc) . As for groupsets SLX now has a lot of the features of the more expensive models so that would be my choice.

jairaj

Forks: look at either Rock shox Reba or if you’ve got the cash go for SIDs. Merling always have these at a good price.

Wheels: Superstar with your choice of Stans rims.

wwaswas

JE James had some taper steerer Reba RLT’s for £280.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Here’s the thing, sorry to disappoint, but I don’t give a flying f*** about the fence! I’d rather be riding 😛

dharmabum
    Free Member

Thanks all. Any more thoughts? Is £1,500 too much for a hardtail, and should I be going for entry level full-suspension?

steve_b77
    Free Member

This is a bit of a curve ball, but how about a Forme Winscar 29

Very similar to the FF29, kinesisium tubing, similar geo & looks£1359 from CRC at the moment.
    XT/SLX drive train, Reba RL etc

IvanDobski
    Free Member

For £1500 you could easily get an entry level fs but it’s certainly not too much to spend on a hardtail.

dharmabum
    Free Member

Yep, I just saw that the srp has come down to £1,499, so that may be the most stress free option! I know the frame, forks and handlebars in the Upgrade setup get great reviews, but what about any of the other components? Anyone got info? Thanks.

silverscoob
    Free Member

Got mine a couple of weeks ago. Full build from Kinesis for £1499.
    Belting, only thing I was not syruck on were the brakes, managed to sort out with the shop, a few bob off but with the Tektros removed and full XT disc brakes and ice rotors. Plus got the tyres set up as tubeless.
    I also ended up putting on a longer stem and seat post (had them lying around). As standard ones were are bit too short for me 6’3″ on the large frame.

It’s not called “FF” for nothing, really quick and fun to ride, the XFussion forks are slowly bedding in too. Mind you recommended pressure for me, 90KG is I think 95psi but to get 25% sag, I’m at 75psi?

If you want any more info, let me know.

dharmabum
    Free Member

@silverscoob – glad to hear you love the bike. Where did you buy the full build from?

silverscoob
    Free Member

Purchased it from Thatto Cycles in St Helen’s. Top shop but the way.
    They sorted it all out with Kinesis and or Upgrade bikes.
    They told me that they receive the frame, forks, wheels and build kit boxed.
    And assemble it at the shop.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘New build – FF29 frame – advice on components’ is closed to new replies.