Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • New budget bike
  • jonnych
    Free Member

My dad’s looking to get into a bit of cross country but doesn’t really want to spend over £400, any suggestions?

Oxboy
    Free Member

In my opinion (I prepare to be shouted down!) Carerra offer some well specced out bikes at around that price, is it true that the frames are made in the same factory as the Kona’s???

ton

basic rockhoppers are nice and light too.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Also my dad got a Gary Fisher Wahoo for about £350, thats a nice bike.

jonb
    Free Member

Don’t know what this years offerings are but the carrera’s of last year didn’t look bad.

Could try Merlin, not sure if you’ll get a malt 1 for that money.

Or Wiggle for one of the Be One bikes.

funkynick

If he can stretch to a little bit more, I reckon you won’t find a better bike for the cash than the Malt 1 Deore Disc special from Merlin… it’s an absolute bargain for £450…

petestuart
    Free Member

My dad was exactly the same. In fact probably a lower budget. For the money both he was, and your dad is looking at – i couldnt find a better deal than the Commencal Normal V-brake on Merlin. He paid just over 200 inc postage; 24 speed, 100mm Suntour forks w/lockout, disc compatible hubs (shimano centrelock), good rims and tyres, sdg bel air saddle, pedals thrown in too. Frame seems good, and a good base to upgrade when and if he wants to. He’s really happy with it.

GT’s and Spesh’s with anything close to that spec were twice the price.

If his budget was any more i’d have pushed for a merlin malt 1 though.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

gotta agree with funkynick for what you get for £450 there isn’t any other retailer out there that can offer you that go a deal that isn’t a end of line sale or one off deal

chico
    Free Member

get on ebay. take care to study the spec. i got a bargain on there and am well pleased. a 6 month old malt1 with fork upgrade and xt mech.

chico
    Free Member

cost £350.00

steve_b77
    Free Member

GT Aggressor 2.0 XC in an ’08 guise if you can find one.

I’ve also seen a ’08 Karrera Fury for around that kinda money

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘New budget bike’ is closed to new replies.