Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Brakes XTR Trail or Saints
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

Currently have XT want to swop them over to my hardtail , thought about geting another set of XT but thought about XTR or Saint , like to have good brakes anyone had much experience of these

bol

Not sure XTR are any better than XT, but I really like mine. Saint if your XTs don’t feel strong enough.

shredder
    Free Member

Had XTs and have Saint M820s on another bike. To me the XTs in a way felt more powerful as the initial bite is stronger.

I find the Saints have a longer lever throw before the power comes on. This IMO gives the Saints better modulation than the XTs.

Im curious if the XTRs are as grabby/ instant as the XTs.

bol

I’d say the XTRs are a bit grabby until you get used to them.

stuarty
    Free Member

Any more votes for xtr being grabby ..

As i like brakes with a lot a bite

bren2709

Bare in mind XTR are 2 pot and Saint are 4 pot so there will be a slight difference in performance!

wiggles
    Free Member

Zee…

Northwind

It’s all a matter of taste, I don’t like the XTRs, bit abrupt/immediate for my taste. They’ve put a lot of work into the new Saints to tame them, good job I think. Still not as subtle/graduated as a typical Formula or Hope though (which is what I like, but other folks have ridden my bikes and gone “no power” even though there is tons on tap)

TBH there’s also the Shimano unservicability thing- the difficulty of getting spares isn’t really an issue on the cheap brakes but it’s a bigger deal on expensive ones.

m6dwn
    Free Member

I got some 988’s recently, upgraded from some 2004 Hope Mono Mini’s – I can only compare them to the Hopes but they are very powerful and they are grabby but I put that down to only riding with them a few times so far and having to learn to use them, basically gentle one finger braking does the job for most trails. I like them.

shieldsmtb
    Free Member

ive been running the new saintlevers with the xt calipers (new shape)for a while now . till last wk and something went wonky with the levar so bought full saint 820

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies , forgot about Zee, will have alook round at prices, 🙂

wiggles
    Free Member

Just mentioned it as I love my zees, more powerful than pretty much anything else but sub £200 so good price compared to the XTR or Saints.

ditchvisitor
    Free Member

Got XTRs on both my bikes, love em! CRC were doing them for £230 for a pair when I got my last set!

Goldigger
    Free Member

Bit if a dated thread, but I’ve been contemplating changing my XT M785’s on my 5 to Saints.
    I have M785 xts on my anthem and there like anchors… They have good ridge hoses to.

The M785 xts on my orange are still good but don’t stop me as well as my anthem. Most people will say bleed them again etc. But I think as the 5 is a heavier bike that’s why they don’t stop me as well as the anthem.
    Or it might just be that they don’t have the good ridge hoses..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Brakes XTR Trail or Saints’ is closed to new replies.