Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • new brakes – ideas and recommendations
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

currently running some Formula K24s but they are going on another bike so I need some new stoppers. Haven't read any tests for a while.

General trail stuff, the odd Alps trip etc.

Thinking maybe the new Formula RX, or Hope X2/M4

Any suggestions?

neil853
    Free Member

i went the whole nine yards and got saint 4-pots 8)

foxyrider
    Free Member

M4's with floaters – No probs at all in 18 months 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything by shimano.

*THREAD CLOSED*

reggiegasket
    Free Member

any particular Shimanos?

SLX/XT/Saint

equivalent?

FuzzyWuzzy

Formula's would be my first choice, although if you can wait it might be worth seeing what reviews of the new XT brakes are like

convert

Why does the phrase "*THREAD CLOSED*" make me think of this bloke?

It must be great when you know your view is the only one worth listening to.

Anyhow, Currently got M4s on one bike and an old pair of lx on the other. Both seem good but M4s much more powerful, and also much heavier (inc big rotors)so not really comparable. LX will be replaced eventually but do the job of stopping a bridleway basher bike.

What I won't do again is go into non thinking bike building drone mode and copper slip the threads of bolts on my rotors like everything else on the bike rather than locktighting. Washing the bike the other day I discovered the rotor was on the verge of falling off the bike – school boy error.

alexxx
    Free Member

im an avid man over and over, the only brakes that have never let me down around europe and at the top of pic blanc

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think I need to get my name changed to ironic-al, I was joking, as I often do.

Anyway my shimanos have never let me down in Europe also – so they must be at least as good as alexxx's avids, which are obviously awesome, despite all the problems other folk have with avids. (I'm being serious here btw).

reggiegasket
    Free Member

has anyone used the RXs ?

I like the Hope levers – feel, shape and adjustability but at this stage this isn't quite enough to swing it in their favour.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

My Mono Minis have been perfect for 2 years apart from needing fractionally more power on very long steep descents which is why I am not going to look at anything other than X2's for an impending upgrade. They just work, don't suffer from sticking pistons like my XT's used to, and very easy to bleed. Oh and you can get some nice cheap bling for them

johni
    Free Member

Another vote for Shimanos from me. I've cooked Avids in Spain, ridden the same trails with Shimano XT several times with no problems (Same sized rotors).

Fit and forget. Easy to change pads, cheap (relatively), simple to bleed should you need to.

Ribble Cycles have some good deals on at the mo (exc Rotors) – I ordered some for my new bike yesterday.

coogan
    Free Member

SLX.

johni
    Free Member

I went for SLX too as I couldn't see much difference between them and the XT ones. If I worried about weight, I'd need to diet first.

IHN

Go on, I'll say it. Avid BB7. None of all that bleeding nonsense.

jackal
    Free Member

My new saints are the best brake I have ever used, but only had a few months use (inc. one weeks DH use in the Alps) up to now so can't comment on reliability.
    Had Hope m4's and 6 pots in the past, the saints are in a different league stopping power wise.
    Currently got tech x2's on the more xc orientated bike, the're 'ok' but nothing special, look nice tho 😆 , thinking about changing to xt's.
    Had some avid juicy 5's that came on my old orange big 't', used in the alps and lots of uk dh riding, worked fine, never needed to touch em apart from pad changes for the 2 years I owned the bike.
    😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shimano Deore V brakes on tarred mavic 721 rims.

Immensely powerful, and the noise they create causes absolute carnage if your trying to stop to let a horse rider through

U31
    Free Member

Another shimano vote here

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers all

looks like some Shimanos then…..

Any point in going XT over SLX?

johni
    Free Member

I couldn't find any but I am sure someone will pop along soon and tell me otherwise.

coogan
    Free Member

Never used XT, but loving my SLX's. Sure you can get them cheaper now, they only cost me £130 for both ends, seems daft to pay more when they work so well.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Shimano Saints. I've had some Oro K18 and the saints are head and shoulders better in terms of bite and power (insane power). They are a tad heavy but its a price worth paying.

mangatank
    Free Member

Wasn't too impressed with SLX initially (after years of Hopes), but having spent a year on them I wouldn't go back. Very impressive.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘new brakes – ideas and recommendations’ is closed to new replies.