Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New brakes dilemma – what would you do?
  • Dangerboy
    Free Member

Long story short – I've been running a set of Magura Louises for years but fancied a change. The hose for the front had been routed in such a manner that I couldn't take it off without disassembling the hose, and in my haste to do so I've knackered part of it (The bit that sits in the end of the hose and mates with the lever, if anyone is interested).

Anywho, all of this means that I've decided it's time for a new front brake (and possibly a new rear to go with it).

I had really liked the look of the Ashima Pancake brake, but a) it's £116 per end (with rotors, mind), b) no-one seems to have tried them and c) there seem to be other, much cheaper options.

I've seen SLX at £50 per end/XT at £65 per end (without rotors) but I thought I'd be able to use existing rotors (wavy Magura ones or sawtooth Hopes) instead of buying new ones.

Someone was also talking about the Clarks Skeletal brakes that Rutland have got in at £50 per end.

Aargh! Decisions decisions.
    What should I do?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Go for the SLX if hey will fit your rotors.

midlifecrashes

Just bought the Ribble £65 XTs. The wavy rotor works fine from my Maguras. Had to buy a 180mm adaptor for the front though, so that added £7 to the cost, but you might already have the adaptor.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrCrushrider
    Free Member

slx – definately. on-one have some good deals at the mo….

gcaster
    Free Member

Sawtooth rotors work fine with SLX.
    I have them and they're great.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New brakes dilemma – what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.