Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New Brake time?
  • sharki
    Free Member

After years of tolerating Avid brakes, firstly 5’s and now 7’s, i’m growing tired of issues with them.

Last night, a simple pad change revealed stuck pistons, as in not going in far enough to get new ones in with a rotor gap.
    An attempt to push them back resulted in the pistons crumbling, granted i neglect kit.

I could get new pistons and seals and carry on, with the occasional tweeks, but i’m swaying towards some Shimano’s.

My knowledge on their new stuff is limited of non existent so without piling on through thread after thread of opinionated recommendations on hope, formula, etc. What’s the new Shimano brakes like?

My present over braked set up is: Front 203mm and rear 180mm.

I’m a reckless trail rider, hard on the brakes but i’m light weight.

I don’t really want to go and get new rotors yet, so firstly, will shimano + adaptors take thoses two sizes?

And secondly, SLX or XT?

Clearly there’s constant changes of models, bt as i’ll probably be going for new kit, what’s suitable?

Cheers Ya’ll

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

SLX, job done.

pmc00per
    Free Member

I was going to ask the xt/slx question myself. I have some 8yr old xt’s which have died. The slx are quite a bit cheaper. I cannot see what the difference is

coatesy
    Free Member

Tacky looking chrome plated reservoir caps, free stroke adjuster, and cooling fins on the brake pads, none of which are worth paying a premium for in my opinion.

cp

I had exactly the same issue yesterday! I have some xt 785 on another bike so just got some more of those. A completely different world to juicy’s….

785 currently about 125 the pair on rose bikes with free postage at the mo. You’ll need to swap hoses over, but it’s easy and there’s loads of resources on here and online on how to do it.

Slx are only about 10 quid cheaper the pair on rose.

pmc00per
    Free Member

That’s what I thought. I would normally try to get xt, but this isn’t a good time of year for things to break.

Does anybody know if the slx 675’s on bikediscount.de are UK spec and the right way round.

Scapegoat

I doubt it. But you need to shorten the hoses anyway, swapping the levers over won’t add much the job

enfht
    Free Member

I clean my Juicy pistons with silicon spray on a brush. Keeps them working.

hamishthecat

bargin brakes at CRC

You’d need adaptors if you have IS forks and frame but still a cheap option.

fd3chris
    Free Member

New style deores on crc work amazing and are a lot cheaper than slx or xt.

trevron73
    Free Member

Just g XT’s off crc with ice tec 180 rotors and they were £110 an end/side they are very lickable.

carlphillips
    Free Member

it has to be the £30 shitmanos!!!

pedwarpimp
    Free Member

Just ordered some XT’s from CRC using the £10.00 off voucher codes found on this forum, using the codes on separate orders for the front and back resulted in an extra £20.00 off in total.

Worth it if it means I don’t have to spend hours fiddling with my avids after every coupe of rides.

BrickMan

Newest shape deore/slx/xt are amaze balls. Buy them, buy them now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New Brake time?’ is closed to new replies.