Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • New brake choice
  • puddle-rider
    Free Member

Very dangerous question I know but I can’t make up my mind.
    Currently running new XT brakes and despite all efforts the rear brake still feels a bit spongy allthough it works well enough.
    Looking to kit out new build and want to try something other than more XT’s considering Hope M4 and Mini combo whats the collective opinion??
    Want to keep spend to about £200.

richc
    Free Member

My new XT was a bit spongy, however I finally managed to get the air bubble out by using a syringe and plastic tube, and the avid method of bleeding.

Which is basically:

fill syringe with fluid
    attach tube
    flush out air and attach to bleed nipple
    move brake lever so its level and remove reservoir cap
    undo bleed nipple
    pull on brake lever and fix to the bars.
    push back pistons with a screwdriver
    then with the syringe pull the plunger towards you to create a vacuum, and flick the caliper and this should get the air bubbles out, it may take a few minutes to get the last of the stubborn ones out
    once they are all out, release the brake lever and push through liquid very slowly and watch the reservoir (it will overflow, so mop up excess with cloth) once a decent amount has gone through and the bubbles has stopped, put the cap back on and put lever back
    bolt caliper back onto the bike
    once everything is bolted onto the bike, squeeze it a couple of time and it should go rock solid, if it doesn’t then you missed some air so need to do it again.

or buy a new brakes, but the XTs are very good, so buying more brakes isn’t really necessary unless you just want to spend money.

zaskar
    Free Member

First dibs Sell me your brakes. 8)

I’ll bleed them!

Try again with the bleeding as a last resort before you buy new ones!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Daffy

You’ll not get new X4s and X2s for much shy of £300.

unless you’re buying without rotors and adaptors.

conkerman
    Free Member

cable tie to hold brakes on overnight and try again.

Conks

Daffy

inverting my bike for a few days and tapping it with a rubber hammer everytime I passed it fixed mine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘New brake choice’ is closed to new replies.