Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New Book Time
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I’m nearing the end of The City of Mirrors, the final part of The Passage trilogy (a post-apocalyptic vampire tale, if you’re not familiar) and I need something else to start on.

I’ve read most of Cormac McCarthy’s book, as well as the usual Tolkein stuff, Neil Gaiman, Kate Griffin etc. and I’m looking for something else that’s different, but along similar lines, if that makes sense. Primarily dark fantasy/horror, but not gory.

Any suggestions?

somafunk

Have you read “The Strain, The Fall, The Night Eternal trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan”, not usually my preferred genre but i was quite impressed with it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Joe Abercrombie is my current fanatsy recommendation! Brilliant series’s.

monde
    Free Member

What about the The Kingkiller Chronicle series if you havent read it allready. First book was name of the wind.

Perdido Street station by China Mieville is also a very well written read.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve considered The Strain series but I think it’s a little too similar to the trilogy I’ve just been reading.

I’ve got Perdido Street Station but always found it a bit of a dull read so never got very far with it.

I’ll check out The Kingkiller Chronicles.

bitasuite
    Free Member

I’ve just finished a couple of good books:

Daemon by Daniel Suarez sounds like it might be down your street. It’s a tale of a dead millionaire programmer who wreaks havoc from the grave. Better than I’ve made it sound!

City of Thieves by David Benioff. Set in WW2 Leningrad. A bit different, quite dark although strangely comedic and very endearing.

z1ppy

Maybe
    Hugh Howey’s Wool triology
    World War Z* by Max Brooks
    Short but very good, Richard Matherson’s, I am legend*

* the films were beyond rubbish, compare to the books

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not fantasy but dark and bloody funny – Hitman Anders and the meaning of it all.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve already read WWZ and I Am Legend (a favourite). I’ll check out the others.

Has anyone read The Library at Mount Char?

z1ppy

Thinking about it Wayward pines trilogy might be a better choice as fantasy over Wool’s sci-fi or try both?

nickc

Have you tried the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronavich?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve just looked at those Rivers of London books and they sound very similar to Kate Griffin’s Matthew Swift novels: Are they?

I’ll check out the Wayward Pines books,thanks.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Charlie Fletcher – Stone Heart, Iron Hand and SIlver Tongue.
    Incredibly clever – every character exists although not in the way you might imagine.

nickc

mikey74, no not really. very different.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Ridley Walker by Russell Hoban, 1980. Probably the most borrowed-from near-extinction* literature of the modern era.

*because if there’s a post-apocalypse it didn’t apocalypse properly, invalidating the result.

sbob
    Free Member

YoKaiser – Member

Joe Abercrombie is my current fanatsy recommendation! Brilliant series’s.

Whereas I thought he was so bad for the first time in my life I failed to finish the book! 😆

CountZero

Neil Gaiman, Kate Griffin

Good man!
    Have you read the three Claire North books, The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August, Touch, and The Sudden Appearance Of Hope?
    There are three ebooks by her as well, The Serpent, The Thief, and The Master
    Same author, Catherine Webb, using another name, as the books are completely different, but equally compelling. All pretty dark, with a very interesting spin on some existing concepts.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘New Book Time’ is closed to new replies.