Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • New boiler needed – alternatives to BG?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Just had a quote from them which I’m assuming is on the high side

Where’s the next best place to try?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Your local plumber.

uwe-r
    Free Member

You need a good recommendation so you should start by saying where you live?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Your local plumber. “

But good luck finding a decent one though. Try and go off recommendation. BG are notoriously very very expensive.

Choose a boiler that comes with 5 year gurantee. We are very please with our Viessmann boiler 5 year parts & labour, cheaper than WB. Its very efficient coupled to a remote thermostat (which I think is a must) and an external temperature sensor which means the boiler doesnt work as hard when the temp is higher outside.

RustyMac

If you have a friendly gas safe plumber to fit a boiler, the prices from HERE seem very reasonable.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

But good luck finding a decent one though. Try and go off recommendation.

Agreed. I am sure there will be someone on here lives in the OP locality who can recommend someone. So OP – where do you live (address and postcode) and where do you keep your bikes? 😉

totalshell

I find that at the mo guarenttees arent worth the paper they are printed on. all manufacturers are tesing / checking the installaion and service records of boilers before starting work under warranty. no boiler form the better manufacturers will devlop a fault in the first 5 years if installed serviced and maintained ( certainly with hand on heart i have had to repair a boiler that i have installed)

Bg do a great job but will sell you everything they can anything else is just cost reduction

buy what you can afford all installaers have thier favorite brands and prefer one over an other
    i base my choices on those i find easiest and quickest to install/ repair and those that have the best manufacturer back up and those whose parts are cheapest.
    from that on balance 98% of the stuff i fit is worcester bosch for those on a very strict budget i do install a potterton heatmax.

replacement WB start at 1250 inc to 1850 max replacement pottertons start at 1000

i have just completed a bungalow total replcement boiler pipewrok 6 rad a towel rail digital wireless controls for 2575. ( 5 yr warranty on boiler 2 yr on all other work)

stumpy01

i have just completed a bungalow total replcement boiler pipewrok 6 rad a towel rail digital wireless controls for 2575

Hmmmm, I better not tell my brother that. British Gas recently charged him £3k for a new boiler with a service package. 😀
    He’s an idiot when it comes to things like this though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Total – I agree most boilers dont need warranty work in the first 5 years, but its good peace of mind to know as boilers can be very expensive when they go wrong.

After 5 years we will consider the BG type insurance, which in the past when I have had has been very good vfm.

Oh and BG and pricing… on a regular service on an old boiler I asked them to quote for a remote thermostat. They quoted approx £450 fitted. I could buy it mself for £100!

Trekster

I could buy it mself for £100!

We all can but could you run and maintain a national business on the profits ❓
    Just the same as we can go to Rosebikes/CRC/Merlin et all and buy cheap bike stuff therefore causing the Tesco effect on our lbs 🙄

lodious
    Free Member

Choose a boiler that comes with 5 year gurantee. We are very please with our Viessmann boiler 5 year parts & labour, cheaper than WB. Its very efficient coupled to a remote thermostat (which I think is a must) and an external temperature sensor which means the boiler doesnt work as hard when the temp is higher outside.

We did the same over the summer, we’d decided on a Viessmann, so looked on the internet for their prefered installers, got 3 out to quote, picked the one we liked the best.

Boiler has been brilliant so far..v. quiet and looks like it’s going to be a lot cheaper to run. Outdoor sensor seems to work well.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I got a full house kit from MrCentralHeating (gas combi, 7 rads, all pipework+valves for £1500 delivered) and my local boiler man fitted it (probably about £5-600 all in, as he did some other stuff too).

It’s a Vaillant and looks like a good piece of kit. I run a Danfoss wired thermostat, as they are excellent IME.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

also had a BG quote last month (to check a worst case figure)

£2400 for a new combi boiler (Potterton HE28) and upgrade the 15mm copper to 22mm (because of regulations.. la la la nonsense), if i wanted something flash then we were talking £3k+

i reckon a regular plumber figure would be £1500-£2000 for a Potterton

have a look on mybuilder for recommended gas safe plumbers in your area

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just the same as we can go to Rosebikes/CRC/Merlin et all and buy cheap bike stuff therefore causing the Tesco effect on our lbs

So what you’re saying is that you should pay more so someone [lbs, local plumbers]gets your profits, rather than paying less so someone else gets lower profits[tesco,BG,local plumber’s merchant]?

I don’t get the distaste at buying from CRC when local bike shops are more expensive. I get it a bit more with boilers due to the fact that you WILL need a gas-approved chappy at some point by law (and that’s another argument), but bike shops-really? Is there anything on a bike you can’t do yourself with half an ounce of common sense? LBS teching is a lazy luxury I’m not willing to pay for.

cheers_drive

Interested to hear that a few people have chosen Viesmann. I got a choice between that and a WB for my new boiler but I’d hadn’t heard of them before. Or is a WB worth £150 more?

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have worked for BG as an electrician I left because of what I consider underhanded tactics to get business like promoting saying things

“like if you do not do ****** you could die ”

Quote from the area sales champion

BG sub out most of there work anyway so you could well have a local gas engineer doing the job anyway

If you live in Devon contact Fords of Sidmouth

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all – Stockport area

GolfChick
    Free Member

we had a quote from british gas it was £2700, in the end we went with a recommendation for a local guy and now have our new worcester bosch brand new boiler with digital wireless remote for £1645 with the 5 year guarantee too btw, I would only go with british gas for the benefits of the monthly payments, if I could afford it (which we did) i would go with an independant.

Markie
    Free Member

I’d say give Vaillent a call. Great boilers and the two times we have had them installed (two different properties) the boiler installer they recommended was ace.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cheers – Veissmann (German made) are huge on the continent. They tried launching in the UK a few years ago with a boiler that was cheap, but shit. They haven’t made the mistake twice and the new ones are supposed to be very good, and have won many awards.

I used to work for BG not in sales or as an engineer!, and their guys said they are very reliable. Last winter we actually had an engineer cone out to ours as the water heat kept cycling hot to cold. Turned out to be an installation error by our plumber, but there were no problems and we didnt have to pay anything. The guy who came out was basically a contractor who did warranty work for all the big manufacturers, and he said he had less call its to veissmann than any other brand.

Get the external temp sensor and remote thermostat for best energy efficiency though. The honeywell cm927 is very good

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘New boiler needed – alternatives to BG?’ is closed to new replies.