Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New bikes and new standards
  • jakehinton
    Free Member

Seems buying a new bike is becoming a bit of a minefield with ever changing standards. How long will it before before you can only buy boost hubs for example? And then extra boost? Keep looking at the Airdrop Edits but then thinking maybe wait for the V3 to come out which will presumably be boost compatible, but then by the time that happens there will be some new standard. It all moves so quick it seems there is never really a right time to buy.

kraken2345
    Free Member

I’m still with the whole 26 inch, 2×9, non-dropper group however do plan to get a new bike around September/October time. It’s these new standards that are really putting me off buying 2nd hand as nothing’s really old enough to be worth buying used whilst having these new “standards”.

My plan is keep an eye out now and just get the best deal I can on the most future proof frame I can get my hands on such as an Aeris one20. Does take the piss though.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

True enough and someone will be along to say just buy it now etc. I reckon if you go boost, clearance for 2.5/2.6 tyres, enough clearance for a decent length dropper(150) and metric shock you’d be doing fine for a few years yet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tenfoot

I thought I was doing well buying a bike with boost hubs, recently and then I read about metric shocks, which mine doesn’t have.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Yeah the Birds look good and all the new standards. Just keep coming back to the Airdrop at the mo. Currently on 1×10 26er but thinking if im getting a whole new bike better go 27.5

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No such thing as ‘standards’, just a series of ever evolving sizes….

If you hold off waiting for a set standard, you’ll never buy a bike.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Nobeer yes very true, good for the bank balance though! Just be nice if they slowed it down a bit for a couple of years!

sofaboy73
    Free Member

No such thing as ‘standards’, just a series of ever evolving sizes….

couldn’t agree more. the time overlap between the old ‘standard’ and the new ‘standard’ being available is normally huge. infract I’d go as far to say it’s rare that something actually goes completely obsolete – you can still buy quill stems and square taper BB’s if you want to. not saying it doesn’t happen – 1 1/8th forks look like they may go extinct – but it’s not an overnight thing and very unlikely to happen in the 5-10 years you’ll own the bike for

chakaping
    Free Member

How long will it before before you can only buy boost hubs for example?

Many years. You shouldn’t see it as a deal breaker at all if that’s the bike your heart is set on.

However if I were looking for a new bike now and didn’t need cross-compatibility with my other bikes, I’d probably prefer to go for boost hubs and a metric shock.

kerley
    Free Member

you can still buy quill stems and square taper BB’s if you want to

That was because they were around for so long. Surprising how many quill stems are still available new (and I know because my only bike happens to have a quill stem!)

Similar to your 1 1/8 example, that has been around for a long time but it is clearly going and getting new fork technology in a 1 1/8 is difficult.

I see the problem being with short lived sizes as for example manufacturers won’t manufacturer a crank with 5 different BB applications for too many years.

As for buying a new bike, I would just buy what I wanted and deal with any future parts issues afterwards.

cookeaa

I’m pretty sure my next planned build will be a 29er HT, and it will be a build not an off the peg bike just because I like assembling bicycles. I think you just have to be flexible on the “Standards” you will accommodate if you plan to build a bike now. if you can’t deal with that (and it is frustrating) buy a whole bike from a shop like normal people do…

I like building wheels but until I settle on a frame I’m not sourcing the hubs, and that’s where a fair bit of cost might suddenly appear from, I was tempted by a cheap, QR Pro2 rear the other day, and if I bought a QR or 142×12 frame that would make sense, but what if I go and buy a Boost 148 or QR 141 frame? I’m not sure it could be adapted for either.
    Similarly the fork, I’ve got an old 20×110 bolt through hub I might actually be able to use with a newer Boost 2omm fork, I might be able to find adapters for 15×100, 15×110 or even QR, but I’ll hold off until I know what…

Headsets/steerers aren’t actually such a problem, so long as you buy a 44mm or Tapered headtube frame pretty much anything will fit, which excludes some frames but I think that’s a given now…

Similarly BB’s don’t actually worry me too much now, I’ve several spare Euro BB cranksets and so would prefer a threaded BB shell, but pretty much every press fit “Standard” has a Euro adaptor available from somewhere…

MTB Brakes have been settled on PM callipers for a long time, an adaptor for whatever frame/rotor/brake combo you choose will exist.

Seat posts come in all sizes, So I’ll be able to find something…
    All the rest of it should interface without too much fuss… Right?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Some things make absolute sense – post mount brakes, splined freehubs etc but it’s the maddening fiddling with established standards which annoys me. Rather than running ideas through an engineering and design team, it’s run through marketing. This is why we’ve gone from 110x20mm via 100x15mm and finally 110x15mm rather than simply adopting the old standard. There’s a drive to make recent, expensive products obsolete through marketing to incentivise you to buy the next new and improved thing.

As consumers, we’ve ultimate power here and can en-masse choose to boycott certain manufacturers who do this as a matter of habit. I do think that we need a consumer lobby group, but equally it’s refreshing to see some manufacturers are beginning to understand this – see Scott with their new Genius that converts between 650b/29er wheelsizes, also that several manufacturers are openly saying that their 27.5″+ bikes will happily work with 29″ wheels.

tomhoward

it’s run through marketing. This is why we’ve gone from 110x20mm via 100x15mm and finally 110x15mm

😆

Oh sweet pea, has no one told you? It’s 110×20 again now. But the spacing of the brakes is different to before 😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New bikes and new standards’ is closed to new replies.