Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New bikepacking frame choices????
  • bothybiker
    Free Member

Guys,

I’m working through the ever fun task of building a bike in my head prior to ordering the rest of the bits I need. It’s going to be used for days out on the hills and bikepacking touring trips mainly. Rigid build. Won’t be riding anything too tech.

I’m swaying over the frame choice, I had originally been looking at the Singular Swift and the Brother Big Bro. Both seem fairly similar and around the right budget of £500 or so.
    However, I’ve just seen the new Sonder Frontier. It takes wider tyres, and is alloy rather than steel. It’s also super cheap!
    I’ve also found Genesis do a longitude frameset only which looks nice! I’ve got a croix de fer already.

Any thoughts? Something I’ve missed?

piemonster

*bookmarked*. 😀

AlasdairMc

“Alloy rather than steel” – you say it like it’s a good thing? You do get some weight benefits, but I’m yet to find an alloy frame that rides as well as steel. Steel is more comfortable, which is what you want when bikepacking.

johnnystorm

The Sonder is boosted so if you are thinking of re-using parts that might have an impact on your decision. Being loaded up with bags and being left outside in all weathers would sway me towards the cheaper alloy option too.

I think all the steel options you’ve listed have straight steerers (Genesis have reverted back from last year?) So while if you decide to move on from rigid riding you’ll have fewer options in the future.

johnnystorm

When you’re running tubeless 2.4″ tyres at 22psi, I’m not sure whether comfy steel in this post-CEN age isn’t all in the head.

bothybiker
    Free Member

Will be a new wheelset for whichever bike so boost or not isn’t a huge issue I don’t think. Re-using parts more like brakes/bars/saddle/Groupset if possible.

99.9% certain I’ll never want to put a suspension fork on it so no worries there with the steerer but good point thanks 🙂

Yeah alloy vs steel is an interesting one. I had only been looking at steel until seeing the Sonder. Comfort/weight are the key concerns I guess. As you say, with tyres with large air volume, plus a comfy saddle and grips, how much will the difference be noticeable…
    Also, not going to tour the world etc so steel being easily welded not a factor.

postierich
    Free Member

Stooge do a nice frame and fork combination and lots use it for bike packing, new frames hitting the shores soon.
    Just bought a Stooge for bike packing adventures!
    http://stoogecycles.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/StoogeCycles

km79
    Free Member

Surly Krampus? New 2017 model should be out very soon.

scotroutes

Steel is more comfortable, which is what you want when bikepacking.

Nah, Ti is more comfortable. 😆

In reality, I thought we’d left all that materials nonsense in the last decade. Modern production methods should negate the idea of one type of frame material being more flexible, comfy, rigid, lively than any other.

firestarter
    Free Member

Just buy my ramin 3 plus 😉

steezysix
    Free Member

If I wasn’t in the process of buying a Longitude myself, I’d be looking at the Ramin – value for money seems hard to beat!

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.no/2017/01/ramin-3-review.html

bothybiker
    Free Member

Surly I think on the pricey side for what I’m looking at this time unfortunately.

Stooge – will have a look!

That Ramin looks reasonable actually! I’ve not seen yours for sale firestarter, but depending on size/price…maybe

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Ramin 3+ , crackin bike for the money, i paid less than £650 when it was on sale , highly recommended even with the higher price

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 Longitude, had a go on the 2016 one, seemed very versatile, well-thought out, plenty of room/fixing points for packing gear and geometry well-suited for all-day riding. Ramin 3 looks great too!

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’m hanging fire for the new Vagabond frameset which is back to the lovely purple colour but not out til later in year, gives me time to build up the parts bin

firestarter
    Free Member

Bothy mine is upgraded and a bargain 😉 my mail is in profile if you want details it’s a medium btw

Oh I have a set of brand new 29er wheels and tyres too that I got for it but haven’t used

postierich
    Free Member

Mick Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

bothybiker
    Free Member

Ah, medium. If it was bigger I would have been keen, have now seen advert.

I think I might take a wander along to the local Evans tomorrow for a look at the Ramin.

firestarter
    Free Member

I have to I’m afraid rich that or the jones

OK bothy

AlasdairMc

Nah, Ti is more comfortable

Completely agree on that one, but it’s a cost thing.

Someone mentioned Stooge, they’re a good shout for bikepacking, either the steel or Ti version. It all depends on what you’ll pay…

postierich
    Free Member

Stooge Ti 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/QCWjGW]DSCF4894[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/RFTGpb]DSCF4900[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

bri-72

Similar ponderings here, Lbs getting a longitude in for me to have a look at. Frontier tempting but boost putting me off as means cant swap wheels between bikes. If could get a stooge build under B2W id be tempted as had a frame before and did like it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New bikepacking frame choices????’ is closed to new replies.