Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • New bike…happy birthday to me!!
  • gonzy
    Free Member

so its my birthday tomorrow
    so i thought its a good a reason as any to treat myself to a new bike…

the bike’s at another place now getting wrapped to protect that lovely paint job on the carbon

iainc

😀

It was mine yesterday and I got this a few weeks ago …

gonzy
    Free Member

nice anthem 1 you got there iainc

iainc

cheers, yours is a nicer colour though !

kayak23

Very nice indeed op.
    Your car park is getting a bit mossy mind.

Kryton57

Are they both Anthem SLX? I keep looking at one of those to replace my 29er as the “everyday” bike.

I have a cash flow issue though… 😥

gonzy
    Free Member

cheers, yours is a nicer colour though !

it looks orange but its actually red

Your car park is getting a bit mossy mind.

not my car park 😉

gonzy
    Free Member

mines a reign advanced Kryton57

iainc

Anthem SX no more for 2017. The new ones are all 120 front/110 rear and a bit more long and low than the previous ones.

Gonzy – interested to hear how you find the dropper. I had a 2015 SX with the previous version of the Giant Contact SL dropper and it was fine for the 18 months I had the bike. The new one has had 4 hrs of wet gritty use at Glentress and is showing signs of the anodising wearing off after 2 rides…

Waiting to hear back from LBS and expect it will be warrantied later this. week

gonzy
    Free Member

I’ve got ridden the bike yet Iain
    the bike was sent off to be wrapped yesterday and will be ready to ride this weekend.
    they did mention at the LBS that if the dropper does start to slow down or feel gritty I should take it back to them and they’ll sort it out…so I’ll have to see

i did test a trance a few weeks ago and the dropper on that did seem to suffer from grit slowing it down during a ride but it was fine after it had been cleaned.

I’ll have to see how this one fares…but i may try fitting some sort of protective boot over the seals…but i suspect that may do more harm than good in the long term

iainc

Thanks gonzy, I am surprised that Giant may have an issue with this second gen post, thankfully their warranty is very good ! Will let you know how I get on with mine.

happy birthday 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

happy birthday

you’re a day early but thanks Iain 🙂

lawman91

@IainC, there is an anthem SX, it’s just not bought into the UK, which is weird as it’s probably the one I would imagine most would go for with a 130mm Pike, Super Deluxe shock and a slightly more aggro spec

iainc

^^^ ah, I stand corrected 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

theres also a reign sx version thats only for the US market…had that been available i would have been seriously tempted to get it
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/reign-sx

gonzy
    Free Member

update on the dropper Iainc – went for a very muddy ride on sunday and the dropper behaved itself…so far so good 😀

sandwicheater

You opened your present early!!! No pudding for you Mr, to bed.

iainc

gonzy – Member
    update on the dropper Iainc – went for a very muddy ride on sunday and the dropper behaved itself…so far so good

good to know !

Mine is sporting a brand new warranty one now ! Not ridden it since fitting last week tho….

Wookster

Looks lush mate! Great colour!

gonzy
    Free Member

Looks lush mate! Great colour!

thanks 😀

tomaso
    Free Member

That looks sweet, happy birthday! Now go and get it dirty!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ooooo, very nice

gonzy
    Free Member

That looks sweet, happy birthday! Now go and get it dirty!

cheers….its got some sort of magic paintwork….mud doesnt seem to stick to it 😆

Ooooo, very nice

rides even better than it looks 😀

gonzy
    Free Member

update – so ive had the reign for nearly 4 months now and its been fantastic for a slack enduro bike it climbs well no doubt helped by the light carbon rims. it only starts to come unstuck when it gets really steep and the geometry starts to works against it but usually by that time i’ve run out of steam and am thankful at being able to get off and push (note to self…must get fitter)
    on the descents though is where this bike really comes alive…its so smooth ans fast its unbelievable

@ iainc – the dropper has been fine so far. i took the collar off and applied some grease under there before its very first outing and havent had to touch it since…so far so good

its got some sort of magic paintwork….mud doesnt seem to stick to it

yep mud still doesnt seem to want to stick to the frame but stones seems to like the paint a little too much!!
    on its second ride a small stone got stick in the top of the lower linkage and took some paint off…i think the resulting stone then got flicked out and hit the front mech cable stop behind the seat tube taking off the paint and exposing the carbon underneath….had to go and buy some colour matched nail varnish to repair the damage and to be fair its matched perfectly and hasnt come off yet
    this weekend another stock decided to take a chunk of paint off the underside of the chainstay yoke and at the same some take a chink of paint of the underside of the bottom bracket shell exposing yet more carbon!!
    time to get the nail varnish out again.
    the frame was professionally wrapped by Shack Wrap but the bottom bracket wasnt covered due to there being a drain hole and the low risk of stones hitting it….just my sodding luck that a stone does then go and hit it!!
    Shack Wrap are sending me some more pieces so im going to cover the BB shell once ive repaired the paint damage
    thats the only downside to owning the bike so far…the paintwork…as beautiful as it is its so bloody delicate…you would have thought giant would have applied a tougher finish to it even if it did add a few extra grams in weight

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘New bike…happy birthday to me!!’ is closed to new replies.