Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • New bike – what do I need and set up
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m getting a new mountain bike, which is the first in a long time. And its got stuff that I’ve not had before – tubeless tyres and an air sprung fork.

So a couple of questions. What sort of pressure do I run tubeless tyres at for singletrack stuff and how much air to I put in the forks – I know it depends on my weight (69kg) and I take it the forks will have a guide included.

and do forks come with a pump or do I need to buy one?

kwack
    Free Member

You should find out what type of tubeless tyres they are and whether they have any stans fluid in them as these will help plug up punctures you may have.

With regards to the forks what forks are they – they usually will have a guide as to what pressures should be run and may/may not come with a pump. You will need a pump to adjust pressures though

gonzy
    Free Member

you’ll probably need to buy a shock pump as i doubt you’ll get one on an off the shelf bike…a decent one will cost around £25
    if you’re getting a full suspension bike then its definitely worth getting especially if the rear shock is an air shock

as for fork set up it will depend on the fork itself as to how much to put in and you rider weight and the type of riding you plan to do

tyre pressures again will depend on the tyre size and again your weight and the type of riding and terrain it will be used on

what bike are you getting?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bird Zero.3, it’ll come with the tubeless tyres set up already so that’s one less faff.

Forks are x-fusion velvet

This, but lower spec

stevied
    Free Member

For tyre pressure I find the Stan’s formula quite accurate.

Rider weight (lbs) divided by 7 = X

Front = X-1psi
    rear = X+2psi

Eg: for me @ 203lbs

203/7=29
    Front = 28psi
    Rear = 31psi

Gary_M
    Free Member

so 21/24psi, woa thats low! But I’ll give it a go.

Any recommendations for shock pumps? The Topeak Pocket Shock DXG Pump has good reviews on wiggle and crc.

gonzy
    Free Member

here’s a link for the setup guide for the forks
    http://www.xfusionshox.com/service/setup-guides.html

Gary_M
    Free Member

Great, thanks very much.

stevied
    Free Member

I can run mine lower too depending on where I’m riding – rocky stuff a bit higher, soft stuff a bit lower. What tyres are on it? I use Maxxis EXO sidewalled tyres so have a bit more support to them.
    It’s a trial and error with pressure and better off to start a bit higher and let some out rather than start lower and have a sloppy tyre.

mogrim

so 21/24psi, woa thats low! But I’ll give it a go.

I’m 73kg and run about 28psi on the front, much lower and the wheel starts to squirm in the corners. I think it depends on the tyre size/profile to a large extent… so I’d start at <30psi and experiment. You certainly shouldn’t need any more.

stevied
    Free Member

Just checked tyre spec:

Front Tyre Maxxis High Roller 2.3, EXO TR dual compound, folding
    Rear Tyre Maxxis Ardent 2.4, EXO TR dual compound, folding

Looks like it comes with great tyres to start with. Might find the rear isn’t the best in winter’s gloop tho.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Tyres are front Maxxis High Roller 2.3, EXO TR and Rear Maxxis Ardent 2.4, EXO TR

Gary_M
    Free Member

Might find the rear isn’t the best in winter’s gloop tho.

I’m used to racing ralph’s pumped up to 60psi in a cx bike so should be fine 🙂

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Where are you riding? Tyre pressures can also change with certain terrains or simply rider preference/style of riding

Gary_M
    Free Member

Will be mostly local natural woodland singletrack

mogrim

BTW that’s a great looking bike!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Thanks mogrim, bought through cycle to work too, so great price. I’m very excited!

Guys at Bird have been really great sorting this out as they weren’t part of halfords scheme, although were trying to get on it. Halfords C2W customer service people have also been exceptionally good.

benpinnick

I’m getting a new mountain bike, which is the first in a long time. And its got stuff that I’ve not had before – tubeless tyres and an air sprung fork.

So a couple of questions. What sort of pressure do I run tubeless tyres at for singletrack stuff and how much air to I put in the forks – I know it depends on my weight (69kg) and I take it the forks will have a guide included.

and do forks come with a pump or do I need to buy one?

You’ll need to top up the tubeless every 6 months or so with new fluid to stop it drying out – we’d recommend Caffe Latex fluid but stans or other brands of latex based fluid will be fine. An injector makes life easier too.

On the forks there’s a guide on the back of the fork, I’d recommend 90% of whatever it says for your weight.

Pumps, any generic shock pump will do from fox/RS/Xfusion/topeak etc. The Beto ones you see on fleabay are actually very decent too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘New bike – what do I need and set up’ is closed to new replies.