Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • New bike, very exciting.
  • daveh
    Free Member

I’d certainly agree with your theory hora, I did a bit of road biking a couple of years back and if a frame was described as stiff, it’d be fine. If it was described as comfy, it’d be like a wet noodle. I reckon the ‘trail buzz’ ride of the c456 is pretty good, better than most Ali frames, but when you hit bigger stuff you know about it. I think I’m just going soft in my old age.

hora
    Free Member

Agree. I need to see a Chiropracter again as I feel stiff allover. Just an annual thing then Im fine.

mattjg
    Free Member

77kg, my mate’s C456, that I rode for 20 miles, was stiff as a screwdriver. Hated it.

daveh
    Free Member

2nd ride this evening, still not much the wiser tbh owing to, er, trail obstacles. 750 bars and dropped stem much better, no need for a shorter stem as the steering is nice and speedy. Still feeling very nice but need a proper ride to really tell.

Trail obstacle (its not the side of the trail, the trail runs straight into it!):

robbonzo
    Free Member

Grapil arrived today, minus the reverb which will be along in a week or so. I’ll be getting it built tonight and hopefully maiden voyage tomorrow. Pics to follow as im changing a few bits over, including mud tyres 😉

daveh
    Free Member

I thought you must have bottled it!! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts before judgement day (WMB trail bike of the year test out next Tues) ;-). Conditions here still too bad to run up against my/it’s limits!

robbonzo
    Free Member

No, I was just rather optimistic about delivery times! Ha. I will most definitely report back. Heading down to Dorset tomorrow so Im hopeful its reasonably dry and snow-less.

daveh
    Free Member

You must have ridden it by now. I guess it must have exploded or been so fast you broke free of gravity…..

robbonzo
    Free Member

[/url] Grapil 1 by robbonzo, on Flickr[/img]

robbonzo
    Free Member

New Grapil has been unboxed, tweaked and unfortunately not had much of a chance to ride despite of good weather at the weekend. I was moving house so basically had a quick blast down the road. First thoughts are good, and echo what you’ve said Dave, super stiff at the back, angles feel great and with the 740 bars fitted it feels like it will be great on the descents. i’ll get out for a proper ride at the weekend. My local trails round Brighton will be well suited to the bike I reckon. Oh and a Rock shox reverb will be here soon too although not sure how you route it as there seems to be only one guide on the top tube which usually takes the front mech? Ive changed it to 1×10 but may go back as I miss how quiet the bike was. Maybe my superstar guide needs tweaking? what you think?

robbonzo
    Free Member

[/url] GRAPIL CLOSE UP by robbonzo, on Flickr[/img]

robbonzo
    Free Member

[/url] GRAPIL FRONT by robbonzo, on Flickr[/img]

daveh
    Free Member

Way cooler than mine! 🙁 I’ve ordered a bit of colour for the front end though to perk it up a bit. Were your rubber queens folding? For the reverb I tried a number of combinations but settled on clipped to the top tube front mount, over the shock, thru the GT style triple triangle and up to the reverb. Its neat and works well.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Yeah pretty sure they’re the std folding ones, I haven’t tried them as went straight to mud tyres – the mud king on the back is excellent by the way. Tbh I had a Mountain king 2.4 folding on my other bike and I wasnt sure about it, I think you’ve got to go for the black chilli ones, and I really like the Protection casing on the mud king too. No punctures with that, and the casing seems to deflect hits really well.

Forgive me if im being dense but how does the reverb clip to the top mount, if the guide is only wide enough for one cable?

fathomer

Nice bikes, simple and unfussy. How well do they pedal?

robbonzo
    Free Member

Only a quick blast so far, DaveH is probably better placed to comment, but it seemed to climb really well, just getting on with it. My other bike is a Morewood Shova single pivot with 135 QR, and it was very stiff compared to that, not surprising I guess.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Oh and with the changes it weighs 28.6 lbs. not too bad. 😮

theflatboy
    Free Member

That Pyga thingummy may have just converted me… Actually quite want!

daveh
    Free Member

Clip wasn’t the best word I could have used, tie wrapped I should have said. The dropper routing is on the downtube which a) makes no sense and b) is too long a route for the reverb hose!

My only other experience of full suss is a heckler and pedalling is night and day compared to that, there’s no need for propedal as far as I’m concerned, just leave it fully open and bob still isn’t an issue. Had a good ride at Sherwood at the weekend, the RQs made a lot more sense on the dry stuff but I still wasn’t able to push as hard as I’d have liked as I’d blown my legs on a road ride the day before! I have ordered a shorter stem though to get the front end as I like it.

daveh
    Free Member

A bit more info: the std front wheel weighs the same near enough as my pro2/DT 5.1 but the std rear wheel is over 1lb heavier than my pro2/DT 5.1/34t XT cassette rear wheel!

fathomer

Thanks for the replies, think I might need to get a demo.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Nice one Dave, I’d be interested to see how yours is looking once you’ve pimped it a bit. I think it would make a great bike for enduros too.

@Fathomer, drop the guys at plush hill cycles an email, I got mine from them and they were really helpful. They have a demo bike – in the shropshire area too.

r53sport
    Free Member

So everyone who is asking about a Pyga. we do have a demo bike so if you want a go then get in touch. It’s currently at Singletrack mag but will be back soon. We will also have a OneTwenty650 demo back too.

Just beware, once you ride one you will have to buy one. Yes they are that good.

Check out http://www.r53sport.com for contact details.

daveh
    Free Member

Here we go then, changes complete.

Pro2/DT5.1 wheelset with tubeless Hans Dampfs
    RS Reverb
    Bontrager RXL saddle (cos I have one on my road bike, it was cheap and at 150g it offsets the Reverb a little)
    780mm Answer Pro taper bars (splash of colour!)
    70mm Whyte stem
    Lockon grips
    XT cassette
    Saint pedals

30.2 lbs on Weight Watcher scales (super accurate 🙂 !)

baseta26
    Free Member

what chainring size are yo using for the 1×10.

i am waiting for mt grapil 10 to be delivered and am planning to go 1×10. however, because its got a sram chainset the BCD is 120 and the smallest chainring i can use is a 36. will this be too big

robbonzo
    Free Member

I had a 34T on mine but gone to 32 which feels spot on.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘New bike, very exciting.’ is closed to new replies.