Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • New Bike – Trek Top Fuel 8 (2010) – Any thoughts?
  • preddall
    Free Member

I’m progressing to a full susser after 15 years of doggedly sticking to hardtails… I’m a xc fan who rides lots of technical xc trails and the big trail centres 3-4 times a year…

I’ve always had a racing hardtail and this seems like the logical next step…

Test ride Tues….

Any thoughts … anyone have one?

singletrackmind

Thisisnotaspoon Just bought one, PM him or wait abit and he’ll post a reply later.
    Some about for £1200 in large , I was tempted as the spec is not too bad.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I tried to buy one, but it didnt work out, my thoughts are……….

They come up very small, I tried to get one of the 18.5″ ones as they were £1199, but they come up tiny in real life, I swear my BMX has more reach! I’m 6ft and the guy in the shop said he thought a 19.5 (out of stock) might have been better, I’m sceptical though, I might even have gone to the XL.

They aren’t overly light, OK there was a good lb of shop crap (manuals, bell, reflectors, pedal covers, probably cheep inner tubes as well) but it wasn’t as fetherweight as I was expecting.

I’m still tempted, but then the anthem-x4 is even cheeper, weighs the same (IIRC) and the cheeper spec (in all but fork) so if you have some moderately pimpy bits already it should be possible to shed a big chunk of weight off the anthem-x whereas the Trek didnt have any obvious flaws in its spec that justified its weight.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmo
    Free Member

This is my TF8, i got it a few months back, i am 6′ and this is a 19.5″ but lots of standover so not really an issue, it is fast as f***k. i think mine is around the 25lb mark, but i have added a little bit of carbon and new wheels. but nothing superlight. i had a previous generation Top Fuel and this is a much better suspension action.

mrmo
    Free Member

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Depends. If you’re just trail riding then the Anthem is the better bike. Although I like the fact the Anthem is lower at the front and the ally frame is a bit lighter than the Trek one.

ampthill

I really didn’t get on with my Anthem test ride. Steering was way to fast for me

my XL Fuel ex is huge. 25″ top tube

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Steering will be similar sharpness on the two- head angles on race bikes are steep after all.

ampthill

Are sorry I didn’t wee the owrd “top” yes I’m sure thry’ll be very similar

preddall
    Free Member

Thanks guys….

I’ll take all the info with me to the test ride….. I’m 5″10 and testing the 18.5 so it might work out….

If it’s a bit upright/short I can always add a longer stem…

Test ride Tuesday night!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘New Bike – Trek Top Fuel 8 (2010) – Any thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.