Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • New bike thread : Arrrgghhhh RIGID ??? AM i insane !
  • weeksy

Decided my lad should get a decent replacement for his now sold Ridgeback MX16.

He’s currently got a BSO that weighs in about 13-14kg. Honestly, it’s the heaviest bike we have in the fleet, that’s saying something with a MetaAM29 in there too.

We ummed and ahhhed about what to get and I decided, “why mess about getting something decent…lets get something RIGHT”

So, he has a Large Islabikes Beinn 20 on the way in Commencal Green 😉

There’s little point having it as an Xmas present as cycling is more a lifestyle thing for us/him rather than a present for being good etc. He knows one may be on the cards… but isn’t aware it’s new or green.

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/products/bikes/item/beinn-20-large

stumpy01

That looks nice.
    My nephews are getting new bikes for Christmas and I think they will be adorned with front sus that ups the weight, but doesn’t really help.

That does look like a proper sensible bike.

Do you mind me asking how much the Ridgeback sold for? They’ve got two of those MX16s (a silver and a blue) that I imagine will be going on eBay come New Yr….

duntstick
    Free Member

Will be needing the rack to go with it 🙂

weeksy

MX16 sold for I think it was £70 or so…

No, he REALLY doesn’t need a rack… I’d rather carry his stuff myself 🙂

crosshair
    Free Member

Sounds very serious and Middle-class to me. I can just picture him telling his Berkshire class mates “Yah chums, cycling isn’t really fun for me per-say- it’s more of a lifestyle choice yah?”
    😀 😉 😀

I had a Raleigh Activator 1 with a pannier rack (roof rack), bar ends (bull bar), twin lights (spotlights), Michelin mud tyres (BFGoodrich m/t), a stand, a CB ariel (CB Ariel 😉 ) and more strapped onto it. You see, in my head, it wasn’t a bike, it was a Landy 😀

Come to think of it, I wasn’t even that young 🙁

Anyway, now I’ve got a real Landy so my bike only has to be a bike- which is nice 🙂

Bike is smart though 🙂

weeksy

The day he calls anyone his ‘chums’ he’ll be sent up to Liverpool to live with his aunts for 6 months.

crosshair
    Free Member

Pmsl 😀

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive just ordered a frog 62 to replace the isla bienn 20 for the little lady. The poor lad gets her hand me down but he’s 2 years younger so works out great for us. One day he’ll get a new bike lol

stumpy01

weeksy – Member
    MX16 sold for I think it was £70 or so…

Cheers….

ampthill

Its not that much cheaper

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/ash-20-inch-kids-bike-ec045261

But you’ve got to look at all the options

A bit cheaper still

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/RX20-Silver

Actually that is alot cheaper a Tweeks

Or if you want to make your option look like a bargain

You’ve saved £200 on this (which is heavier)

takisawa2

Might get flamed for mentioning the H word, but if anyone is looking more at the budget end, the Apollo Tokko, at £119 is a reasonable buy. No daft non-functional suspension or tractor tyres.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Blow the budget!

weeksy

Problem with the others comes down to weight. The Isla is as far as I can tell massively lighter than anything else. There was only 1 bike even in the same ball-park and I think that was £30 less… With the excellent resale value of the Isla and them being highly regarded, it made complete sense to get one.

Garry_Lager

Are the ridgeback’s fairly light? See a lot of them on ebay.

Got my 6yo a decathlon mountain bike this year (in a bit of a rush) – decent in general but weighs a ton. Weighs more than my pompino and that’s not a light bike. He rides it everyday so could do with a better one.

firestarter
    Free Member

he frogs are very light they are said to be according official figures but my daughters beinn 20 is over a kg heavier than its meant to be and altho i haven’t weighed the frog it feels very light. It looks very very well made and thought out too. I went for it over another isla despite having had 3 islabikes already and it wasnt a decision based on cost either.

lots of good kids bikes around now tho

Edric64
    Free Member

Look at Frog for kids bikes as well

http://www.frogbikes.com/

cloudnine
    Free Member

Problem with the others comes down to weight.

The early rider rigids are lighter and more expensive.. but the 20″ isnt available till spring (will have rigid fork and maybe a geared option)

weeksy

Garry_Lager – Member

Are the ridgeback’s fairly light? See a lot of them on ebay

They’re not bad mate..

ampthill

How much does the Isla weigh?

The Pinnacle claims 20.8 lbs

The Ridgeback 23.5 1b

But I’m in no way saying don’t by the Isla. My son has never for given me for not buying him one

honourablegeorge

Isla quote 7.86kg – that’ s 17.32lbs

weeksy

But I’m in no way saying don’t by the Isla. My son has never for given me for not buying him one

Me ? Don’t worry about me mate, I’ve already ordered and paid for the Isla. 🙂

ampthill

Oops sorry Weeksy I’d read the post as a question

I hope it brings you both great happyness. I’m sure it will

Edric64
    Free Member

Look at Frog for kids bikes as well

http://www.frogbikes.com/

weeksy

Woo hoo… that arrived quickly ! Just got to get it home and build it now 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

The Pinnacle is a little heavier than the Islabike large Beinn 20, not sure if it’s 3lbs – but the Islabike comes with very narrow tyres which is probably most of it. I think the fatter Pinnacle jobs will be better when ours is old enough to hit the singletrack, plus they are whitewalls which is frankly awesome.

Hang on.. did they sell you an un-built bike or do you mean just turn the bars etc? They refused to sell me one un-built.

jameso

The Hoy Bonaly 20″ is 8kg, the Pinnacle Ash 20″ I must check as there’s only a crmo vs Al fork and some other bits in it, ie tyres and rims add a little but 9.45kg / 3lbs difference sounds like more than it should be.

weeksy

st

Beinn 20 large for us. Bought for my daughter and now handed down to my son. Great little bike and bob on. Cheaper bikes are coming with sus forks which are inevitably crap and as mentioned above comparable weight / spec bikes are unsurprisingly comparable weight.

weeksy

Brakes are brilliant, handling is brilliant, gearing seems excellent too 🙂

He loves the new bike 🙂

weeksy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2aKFviJuyM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘New bike thread : Arrrgghhhh RIGID ??? AM i insane !’ is closed to new replies.