Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New bike question, sorry please humour me!
  • phil40
    Free Member

I posted before about getting a Bird Zero and xc racing! I demo’d a zero and thought it was great so started saving up for the tr!

Now I am getting close to having the funds saved I am second guessing myself! This will be my only Mtb, so expected to do a bit of xc racing, Bristol bikefest 6hr, qecp, Swinley and sometime visits to Wales etc with my mate! I do like little jumps on trails (thanks to Jedi) but at 43 I don’t think I will ever be taking up DH or some such!

So given I want a Bird (local company) would you go Aeris for the option of riding bigger stuff than Swinley or the zero to fit with what I usually do?

I can’t have both and whilst not a huge amount in the big scheme this is the first bike that I will have bought and specced completely for myself and I intend to keep it for the long term!

What would you get and why?

rOcKeTdOg

HT ftw if it’s your only bike, much more versatile & easier to maintain

Rubber_Buccaneer

So long as you aren’t hoping to be on the podium in any of those events it really doesn’t matter. You should get what you want as otherwise you will always wish you had. It doesn’t have to be the most sensible choice it just has to make you happy every time you go out for a ride.

I’m lucky enough to have a Zero hardtail, Whyte G150 and an old Anthem. All good in their own way and they all get used but the hardtail gets the most use over the year as a whole and it is the one I’d keep if I could have only one….I think…maybe. Thing is the full suspension bikes are so good now it’s only the extra maintenance that puts me off but it isn’t that much more hassle is it. Argh it’s impossible, you’re just going to have to make your own mind up 🙂

Wookster

I like riding a FS bike even in winter gloop! , I found that the key for me was riding with the right amount of travel, I had a 140/140 bike but had more fun on a HT, I also had a 100/100 f/s very XC, I found when I mucked about with the shorter travel bike shorter stem, dropper post wider bars I found the right balance for me, fast forward a few years and I had a decision between a Transition Scout, and Smuggler, being honest I ruled out the patrol, and based on what and where I ride, and my skill bottle level 😉 , QECP, Swinley, Afan two three times a year, I went with the smuggler, is a great bike enough sus to dig me out of trouble but I still feel like I’m working as I ride?

In short I’d be careful not to drag about more travel than you’d need, but From what I gather Bird are good for demos why don’t you take both out again and see what floats your boat?

rhayter

I’d agree with Wookster. Lugging a ‘big’ bike around isn’t any fun. And you can ride just about anything on a hardtail, given the right skills and control over your speed. Ride an Aeris at Swinley and see if it feels too much bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stick with plan A, is my two cents.

The XC racing will be way too compromised on the Aeris. More compromised than the Welsh trips will be on a hardtail.

phil40
    Free Member

Cheers all 🙂

I am a terrible procrastinator and indecisive according to my wife 🙂 watching the ch4 program this morning got me looking at fs 29ers………. Till I remembered a wiggle Mtb sportive is not in the same league as 7 days across the nz Alps 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New bike question, sorry please humour me!’ is closed to new replies.