Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • New bike purchase
  • jongreen
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve been on the hunt for a new mtb bike for a while now and thought I’d narrowed it down to a specialized Camber Comp 29. The riding I tend to do fits well with the 29er short travel style of bike.

I went round a few LBS yesterday, mainly with a view to seeing the 2016 camber as i’ve only been able to get to demo the 2015 camber evo which has very similar geometry to the 2016 model abeit with shorter chainstays now.

Whilst I was at the LBS they offered me a trek fuel ex9.7 29er 2014 link which was £3k for the same money as the camber or a trek fuel ex8 29er which was £2.5k for £300 less than the camber.

They also showed me a Whyte t-129s 2015 that I could have for the same as the camber.

So basically I’m left with a choice:

Camber comp 29er 2016
    Trek ex9.7 29er (carbon main triangle) 2014
    Trek ex8 2014
    whyte t-129s 2015

Any input gratefully received. Jon

tillyfishes
    Free Member

Get the Whyte, you get a dropper which none of the other bikes. For the same money you get just as good kit as the Camber. It is designed by a British company who know what they are doing. Fork and shock have parts easily available for servicing. I know people who have the 2014 version and love it.

theotherjonv

I wouldn’t buy it just on the strength of having a dropper, you can add that later if you need it.

scandal42
    Free Member

I would buy it on the strength of it riding beautifully.

Smashing ride

jongreen
    Free Member

I have a mate with the whyte and he loves it but I also love a bargain. I guess I’m hoping that someone will tell me how wonderful the trek fuel 29er is and that the level of components will be so much better that I’d be daft to buy a current model lower spec for the same money. I’ve just not found any great reviews for the ex9.7. But the reviews that I have read are all based on the full price bike.

jongreen
    Free Member

I also see that last year the camber got better reviews than the whyte and this year they’re the other way round!

chakaping
    Free Member

Whyte look to be ahead of Trek on geometry. I’d get the Whyte.

wrecker
    Free Member

I have one of these for sale in large if You’re interested?
    https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-trailfox-tf03-x1-2016-mountain-bike-EV237557

Brand spanking new, never even had pedals fitted.
    Drop me a mail if interested.

variflex
    Free Member

Although Im a massive Whyte fan….two of their hardtails sitting in garage, I would go for the 2016 Camber.

peasant
    Free Member

I would buy this at the drop of a hat, had it been in my size

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Specialized-Camber-EVO-7684-104-0.html
    or a whyte
    http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Whyte-T129-S-8808-104-0.html

plenty of stumpy frames for not a lot of money at the same site

jongreen
    Free Member

Wrecker, thanks for the offer but Im a medium and the trailfox has more travel than I need.

Tracey

Bikescene had a medium 2015 Camber Evo in at a silly low price. If we didn’t have one already I would have snapped it up. Its an awesome bike.

wrecker
    Free Member

Wrecker, thanks for the offer but Im a medium and the trailfox has more travel than I need.

No probs mate. It is a lot of bike!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘New bike purchase’ is closed to new replies.