Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • New bike or upgrade dilemma
  • climbingcragrat
    Free Member

I normally ride a 120mm f/s bike but have been asked to ride the C2C in May. I first considered just fitting slick tyres but suspect a hardtail would be more appropriate.

I have a Cannondale F900 which is around 20 years old but has been well maintained. In fact the frame is probably the only original item. I could put slick tyres on this as it is mainly used as a city run around for my son.

Alternatively I could just bite the bullet and get a nice lightweight hardtail. (Cannondale Flash etc) This would give me discs and wide bars which the Cannondale does not have.

My dilemma is what to do. The cheapest option is to go for slicks on the Cannondale but would three long days kill it off?

Anyone who has done the C2C may be able to advise?

Cheers
    Phillip

timc
    Free Member

Nice new Hardtail, not a cannondale though!

rustler
    Free Member

Assuming its s road c2c, wouldn’t a roadbike be better…
    Failing that, slicks & some comfy contact points on the old ‘dale would be fine. If its got rack mounts get a rack & cheap pannier. Loads better than a rucksack over 3 days.

Wookster

100mm F/S bike mate every time!

TomZesty
    Free Member

I did it on a scott 100mm hardtail with semi-slicks (in summer). Seemed a good compromise to me, I had fun on the downhill offroad but didn’t die on the mega road ascents in the Lakes and Northumberland.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘New bike or upgrade dilemma’ is closed to new replies.