Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New bike or refurb
  • peaking
    Free Member

I have a 2008 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, which I have maintained well over the years (except the forks).

I am wondering if full sus bikes have changed a lot over the last 8 years and whether to start looking for a replacement, or to upgrade what I have, e.g. new 1×11 or 2 x 10 chainset, new forks, wheels? I know trying to find a fork that does not have a tapered steerer is difficult. or are newer bikes so much different now?

I only use this bike where I know it will be technical trails or trail centres.

My preference is XC or all mountain type riding .

jekkyl

Do you have bags of cash?
    Do you enjoy the frame you have and does it do everything you ask of it?
    I had the same dilema recently and had a great time buying new parts and fitting them and it’s much less expensive.
    Carbon bars/ pedals/ forks/ drive train/ stem/ wheels etc there’s loads you could do.

wwaswas

Get a demo on something current on the sort of trails you enjoy and then make a decision?

FWIW, bike geometry, shocks and forks have come a long way in 8 years. If you’re going to replace shock, fork drivetrain, wheels and brakes it’ll be cheaper to get a complete bike.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

New bike for sure

gonzy
    Free Member

you could upgrade it on the cheap (ish) if you know what to look for and where to look but as above depends on your finances and whether the bike still meets your riding requirements
    my current bike is a 2009 giant reign x2. all the rest of the kit on it are less than 3 years old apart from the spare wheels which are about 12 years old but just wont die.
    i run offset bushes on the rear shock so the geometry is pretty much the same as the current model…although the front end of mine is a bit slacker. it rides as well as the modern bikes my friends all ride and i love it
    the only downside is that its a bit of a hefty beast so it takes a bit longer to finish the climbs and apparently my wheels are the wrong size.

i’ll be getting a new bike next year (most likely the latest version of what i have) but this one will stay too

your only issue would be in replacing the forks…you may struggle to find something suitable brand new so you’d have to scour the second hand market for a pair of forks

elliott-20
    Free Member

I’m in the same dilemma.

Wheel sizes and other ‘new standards’ are causing even more of a wanderlust, so I’ve got that ‘itch’ for shiny new stuff and as much as I like my 5Spot there’s a few things I’d like to try. Especially after demoing a Mega29 up Aston Hill last weekend and that thing was by far the fastest of the day. Hoon of a bike.

So I’m considering either that or a YT Jeffsy. The newer, long travel 29ers are eye-openingly good.

Working it all out, the difference in final outlay cost of trading for a new bike or just replacing parts is about the same.

taxi25
    Free Member

It would be a new bike for me 😀 But as above getting a test ride on a modern bike is excellent advise.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New bike or refurb’ is closed to new replies.