• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by juan.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • New bike on it's way, Should I go 9 or 10 speed?
  • juan
    Free Member

As per title really, possibly something along the line of XT or X9/X0 just wondering if 10 speed is a worthy upgrade. If I go 9 speed I’ll use shimano rapid rise rear mech. If I go ten speed it will be sram grip shift.
    What is the STW conundrum on this one?

singlesteed
    Free Member

I found little if any difference between going 10 spd from 9 and personally wouldnt bother if I had choice again.

It is purely a money spinner no pun intended!

br
    Free Member

10 speed, as it’s the same price as 9 speed and you can get a clutch mech etc

scotroutes

If I was building a new bike I’d go 10 – just because nice 9-speed stuff will become hard to get.

juan
    Free Member

Is a clutch mech really that good???

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Is a clutch mech really that good???

Yep they do a great job of keeping the chain from flapping about. SRAM mechs do the trick too.

I’d go 10 speed if you can and maybe try the 1×10 route with a NW chainring and expander cog on the cassette. SRAM or Shimano – down to personal preference but dropping the front mech is brilliant with less weight, less to go wrong and less decisions to make while riding.

juan
    Free Member

No way I’ll drop the granny, not in the south of France, as I use on an almost regular basis the 22/32 on my 26″ HT.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘New bike on it's way, Should I go 9 or 10 speed?’ is closed to new replies.