Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • new bike no 2
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

£150 was low enough! I had most of a day bike bar frame (long story, shelved full suss project).

35lb, rides well tho forks need some compression. BB is a gem, £40, 400gm, 4 bearings, I added a spacer to pull the chain line in a bit. I also made my own adaptor for my offset wheel, a wee brace for the e-front mech, and routed its cable round the chainstay as its a bottom pull! (forgive the stem, it will change!)

Goes over anything, should open up a lot of new riding eg Arthur’s Seat.

Untitled by alan cole, on Flickr

RustyMac

Come on now, picks of new bike no2 before new bike no1. That sir is just wrong…

scotroutes

* calls the parkies *

cynic-al
    Free Member

But you said it was legal…

yunki
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15_Y3_eRfOU[/video]

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

*approves*

cynic-al
    Free Member

FWIW I’m not sure I’d want to ride it on “normal” rides on trails etc, though I will give that a go.

The fun, it seems to me, is snow and sand, and being able to ride boggy stuff or steep or rocky stuff where you are struggling on a regular bike – and therefore have more possibilities up north.

JoeG
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

FWIW I’m not sure I’d want to ride it on “normal” rides on trails etc, though I will give that a go.

Your tires will most likely be the limiting factor here. What you have should be good for sand, though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a Nate, looking at Jumbo Jims too!

The point I was making is it seems a bit of a skill compensator, might sanitize the trails.

JoeG
    Free Member

^ Then get rid of the suspension fork! 😉

Mine is rigid. Lots of fun as a normal trail bike! 😀

scotroutes

I changed my mind after a close inspection of the Park By-Laws and signage. However, it really needs a test case through the courts to be sure….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I thought THEY told you it was OK?

I am going with GeoffJ’s line. I think it’d be a civil proceeding so getting pro bono help with a test case might be tricky.

But I have been on the homebrew.

scotroutes

You too eh?

Bagstard
    Free Member

What forks are those please? Shivers?

scaredypants

they look like maverick to me

rOcKeTdOg

SC32s

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Interesting.
    I had a fatty. Was perfect down around the East Lothian coastline.
    Absolutely horrendous around Innerleithen red.
    Kind of felt like riding a space hopper on top of a washing machine.

The weight of the wheels is the big issue. Once you get a decent speed up downhill they pick up a certain straight line momentum and getting the bike round a corner is hard work.

I’m not saying you’ll not make it round the trail. You’ll just wish you were on a normal bike.

Still, it’s fun to try something different. I just bought a single speed 69er off a nice Polish guy on Easter Road last night.
    If I get over this hangover I was gonna drag it up Arthur’s Seat for a test.

Slight aside – ever tried riding down the south route down from the summit?
    Purple one on this map:

I walked down it recently when I was testing out some new sandals (lol, wat? killmenow) and thought it’d be a sweet ride on a bike. Though pretty technical!

cynic-al
    Free Member

YGH did I see you pedalling a bronze Trek with DUC32s up Easter Rd 6:20 or so?

Not pedalled that trail, or walked it – seen the bottom tho and assumed it might be too steep to be rideable/fun. I await your report!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘new bike no 2’ is closed to new replies.